Sign in to follow this  
woodie106

Speed limits.........

I've never been told, probably as i've never asked, what the speed limits are for a motorhome? 

Around town i'm assuming the usual 20, 30 or 40 mph apply, but what about motorways & dual carriageways? Can i do 70 if i wanted to & it was a NSL road?

I usually like to sit at around 60 on the motorway, seems comfortable & uses a bit less fuel.

One other question, I'm never quite sure if i'm allowed in lane 3 (outside lane) on a motorway. Only done it once - last weekend overtaking 2 lorries that were side by side for about 3 miles so got bored with looking at their back doors & when the opportunity arose i overtook.

I'm sure i could look all this up, but if somebody does know the rules then that would be appreciated.

I drive an 2008 Autotrail Scout se -weighs in at about 4 ton fully loaded.

I also assume that if i'm towing the usual rules apply?

Hi woodie

For that weight and type of vehicle lane 3 on motorways is perfectly legal.

Max speed where allowed is 70mph.

Essentially exactly the same as passenger cars.

Towing rules are exactly the same as caravans etc.

Motorhomes in the UK have their own set of 'Speed Limits' and the speeds you can do is dependant on your Motorhomes Unladen Weight. The magic figure being 3.05t see here - https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

I have to admit, that before seeing this web site, which was quoted by Andy on the Motorhome Channel TV show the other week, I had always thought the speed limits were based on the Motorhomes 'Laden weight'

Don't ask me how you find out your Motorhomes 'Unladen weight'

Trooper

I drive an 2008 Autotrail Scout se -weighs in at about 4 ton fully loaded.

If your unladen weight is below 3.05 tonnes, the same speed restrictions apply as for cars, if above 3.05 tonnes unladen, then the speed limits are the same as for towing; 50mph single carriageways, and 60mph on dual carriageways. The exception is motorways, where 70mph is legal for weights up to 7.5 tonnes plated max weight. There are no lane restrictions on motorways.

Gordon.

Unladen weight should be on the V5 registered keepers document probably called mass in service or similar

The usual towing laws apply on the road such as no trailers in outer lane of a 2+ lane m'way

What you can tow with your licence will depend on what categories and restrictions are listed on it

Just had a look at my V5 and my Bailey has a mass in service of 1713kgs with a max weight of 3500kgs. Now the user payload is around 500kgs so what makes up the difference?

David

Just had a look at my V5 and my Bailey has a mass in service of 1713kgs with a max weight of 3500kgs. Now the user payload is around 500kgs so what makes up the difference?

David

1713kg would be correct for the weight of the chassis-cab before the converter added the motorhome on the back, so that's what makes up the difference. :)

1713kg would be correct for the weight of the chassis-cab before the converter added the motorhome on the back, so that's what makes up the difference. :)

That being the case then the unladen weight will now be 3000 which can be confirmed by emptying everything out and taking it to a weighbridge

The speed limit for a motorhome over 3.5 tons is 50 mph on A and B roads and 60 mph on motorways and dual carriageways.

I was "done" by a fixed speed camera on the A1 south of Berwick upon Tweed last a couple of years ago when doing 56mph in our tag axle Chieftain !!

3 points plus £60 fine !! :rolleyes: 

Sorry, but you are wrong. It is not 60 on a motorway, it is 70, and as stated earlier in the thread, the restrictions are based on the unladen weight, not the laden weight.

The main restrictions for motorhomes exceeding the weight limit is on trunk roads and dual carriageways, where the NSL is reduced by 10, i.e. 60 on dual carriageways, and 50 otherwise, unless a lower speed is in force.

Any vehicle can do 70 on a motorway, up to 7500kg gross weight. They can also use the outside lane to overtake, EXCEPT if towing.