I think the effects of Covid and our changeable weather reflects the lack of activity on the forum.

We did manage a long weekend earlier in the month on a campsite in Wales during the hot weather but other plans for August have been put on hold until the current weather improves.

Our plans for the France Trip to Saint Tropez on 1st Sept is also cancelled thanks to Covid with the need to wear masks in ever increasing regions throughout France, it was looking positive when plans were made but spikes have changed all that. Our alternatives were either Cornwall or Snowdonia but partner Jayne travelled to France for a family reunion the day before self isolation was re-introduced by UK government and will now be going nowhere on her return this Saturday.

We had a day trip to Towyn to have the largest ice cream possible. I have cleaned the roof of the van and done a few other jobs and we are booked to  go to our favorite  place Rozel campsite in Jersey in a few weeks time IF travel is still allowed

Could it be Tywyn for that Ice Cream?? Famous Ice Cream factory there. That's where we were just outside the town (our 2nd home we call it)

We normally park on the Neptune Caravan Park but not accepting tourers this year due to pandemic.

We had four days at Cirencester Park CMC site earlier in the month. Two more trips booked, one for September and another for October again for four nights each. Being away seems a bit strange still so no real enthusiasm for more than we have already booked. Hopefully it will have improved by next year?

David

On 19/08/2020 at 16:21, bikerbri said:

I think the effects of Covid and our changeable weather reflects the lack of activity on the forum.

Sadly there has been a general lack of activity all round this year because of the various restrictions. Motorhome Talk has been quiet but our sister site Caravan Talk has seen an influx of new caravan owners asking questions. Most of our plans for travel this year with the MH have been well and truly scuppered as we had bookings as far apart as Newquay in Cornwall to Inverness in Scotland, along with plans to visit Brittany (although thankfully it hadn't actually been booked before the lockdown kicked in) and trips to meet up with friends in the UK. The MH has not moved since visiting the NEC show in February, and the October NEC show has also been cancelled this year, although I note that some of the regional outdoor shows are still planning to run.

19 hours ago, klyne said:

Being away seems a bit strange still so no real enthusiasm for more than we have already booked. Hopefully it will have improved by next year?

I think a lot of people have mentally written off 2020 for holidays, so let's hope there's light at the end of the tunnel for 2021.

Despite every effort to remain positive I have to admit that Jayne & I have finally conceded that 2020 is pretty much over with for trips other than our occasional weekends in Wales.

On the plus side the MH is gleaming inside and out, just looks good on the drive.

16 hours ago, bikerbri said:

Despite every effort to remain positive I have to admit that Jayne & I have finally conceded that 2020 is pretty much over . . .

I fear you may be right Brian and something that personally I feared back in March. The clue was in the name covid-19 (not covid-20) implying it had been around a while before the public was alerted.

Since February this year we've not been able to go anywhere we'd planned but I'm hopeful that the odd night or two away may be possible before too long. Not so much a holiday, more of a mini-break to get away from the four walls at home and see a bit of countryside before the weather turns but I expect only well away from populated areas.

Because she is on the vulnerable list, my good lady is only now just starting to venture a short distance outside the front door after six months of isolation at home, so she has a great need to get away, just to preserve her sanity. I've taken her for the odd drive in the countryside but she has been reluctant to stop anywhere or get out of the car until we're back home, so I fear for her mental well being if I cannot soon restore a degree of normality in her life.

We have found that the 3 & 4* campsites prove to be quieter and better spaced out especially without specific marked pitches allowing a wider choice where to pitch away from others.

Facilities however are still a factor but manageable with the correct precautions.

It is difficult to know what is best but recent scientific predictions are the virus will not be clear for 2 years, too long to totally avoid the possible risks I would suggest.

The 'R' factor is again rising according to the news and another lockdown a possibility in the future, time to get out and about before it does maybe?

Need to get both MH and toad serviced before venturing forth - phone calls planned for tomorrow to address that - then we'll have to see how things are in areas we'd like to visit! 

If it's just a change of scene that people require a campsite is as good a place as any. If you use your own facilities contact with other people will be minimal. The question is that is sitting on a campsite any different to sitting in your back garden!

David

To be honest David, staying on a site is probably no worse than sitting in the rear garden at home but just staying on a campsite IMO does not constitute a true holiday, as like you, we like to get out and visit any local attractions, and unfortunately that at the moment remains something of an unknown quantity. 

We shall continue with long weekends (Fri-Sat-Sun) weather permitting but mostly to destinations we know well and know what to expect when we arrive.

In just 2 hours we can be on our favourite quiet beaches in mid Wales .

Local folklore dictates ''A change is as good as a rest'' 

To watch & listen to the waves and beachcombe for seashells on a very quiet beach is the best therapy against Covid I can think of.

The tourists are welcome to the hotspots any day.