Sign in to follow this  
bikerbri

Online Scams

While helping a friend to find them their first motorhome on a limited budget I was amazed how many there are priced only to attract the unwary leading to the inevitable scam.

A classic case of ''if its too good to be true it probably is''

Motorhomes half their realistic value mostly sold as Classified Add rather than auction and always on behalf of a ''friend'' or ''family member'.' Bank Transfer up front and not cash on collection.

Even a viewing & test drive is no guarantee (and often encouraged) as Doc's and Keys will only be released after payment cleared by which time seller & MH mysteriously disappear.

Moral of the story has to be, buy only from a genuine dealer or cash on collection from private seller's.

I would only be happy buying large purchases from a dealer.

If circumstances were exceptional (and HPI checks were clear) I may investigate a private sale if I had absolute proof of ownership by the seller, such as the original invoice from new with their current address on, and something like a utility bill as proof that was their address, together with a driving licence as proof they are who they say they are. You really cannot be too careful, and a legitimate seller should understand and have no problem in providing what is asked for. Similarly I would expect them to want to check my details. The phrase 'caveat emptor' is always applicable, especially so with large purchases, and we should be automatically on our guard when anything is offered well below the normal price. 

Gordon.

We all know it more expensive to buy from a dealer than a private seller normally but not when things go wrong.

Everyone likes to think they are getting a bargain and it's that very factor scammers rely upon, my search goes on for my friend's motorhome 

I suppose the golden rule is to never part with any money until you have seen what you are buying, particularly something like a motorhome? There have been a few scams highlighted on the CMC forum. Some have involved very glossy websites, one even claiming to have a tie in with the CMC. Usually there is no where to actually see the vehicle and the usual line is that it will be delivered direct to you once the money has been transferred. Another is the person that claims to be in the services and stationed overseas and does not have a UK bank account and they insist you pay by Pay Pal. No way of getting your money back once the scammer as withdrawn the funds!!!  Whilst I would tend to agree with Gordon about dealers there are probably many genuine private sellers out there but they won't making demands for up front payments before you view.

David

Edited by klyne

10 hours ago, klyne said:

. . . there are probably many genuine private sellers out there but they won't making demands for up front payments before you view.

Absolutely right David, and the genuine ones will understand if you ask to check some of their details.

Gordon