Sign in to follow this  
bikerbri

Virus Consequences

Interesting to note the hostility by many communities towards ''outsiders'' invading their local area. Outsiders such as Caravan and Motorhome owners escaping to the more remote area's according to the news. Scotland seem's to have started the ball rolling closely followed by North Wales and Cornwall.

The Welsh Assembly is considering closing all holiday and touring parks plus campsites which in turn encouraged Cornwall to suggest similar restrictions. Holiday Home owners are  particular targets it seems from communities afraid that an influx of ''townies'' merely to escape crowds will bring Covid 19 with them.

Not alone in their self interest it seems that Ferry operators are keen to quote T&C's at any hint of a refund rather than a voucher. I booked a ferry to France in early Feb for 31st May but as France & Spain are now fully ''locked down'' and therefore unable to travel the response is basically their contract is to deliver you to your chosen ferry port even though the authorities will never allow you to leave.

So pointless, so greedy.

I am awaiting replies from the campsites in France & Spain regarding refunding deposits, watch this space.

I believe in many some cases you may be waiting a long time, as I fear that many campsites will not be in business this time next year. Some companies have acted responsibly, while others have displayed an uncaring greedy side, however people have memories long enough to remember the way they were treated for when things start to get back to normal. 

The bottom line is that we are all going to have to pay in one way or another for this crisis, whether financially or with our health. Currently it is just about impossible to get even the basics locally, and I've not seen a bus or taxi for the past couple of weeks.

My fear is that there are going to be further deaths of people without any viral infection, but who simply live alone with no nearby family to look after them.

Too true Gordon, if nothing else I am a realist so expectations are tempered accordingly.

Unsure how true it is I have heard that if you wait for your vendor to cancel you stand a better chance of a refund as opposed to being the first to ''jump ship''

This did actually work for me with Jet2 eventually but not all companies operate under the same logic.

On previous trips abroad I never pre-booked campsites and just turned up hoping for a pitch, beginning to wonder if I should have stuck with it, and ferry just 7 days prior.

Moral of the story is Stick with what you know

I think there are probably sensible reasons to book the odd site abroad if you want to be there at a particular time but if you are touring there shouldn't really be a need. With no certainty how this virus will pan out, some think it will still be around next year if looks as if our hobby is in for a hard time over the next couple of years. That doesn't just mean campsite either as I can't see many people investing in a caravan or motorhome in the next six months? We got the Motorhome back from its first service last Friday (new pump, pressure switch and heating PCB, fortunately under warranty!!!) Today we cleaned the inside and put everything back in, just hope we get the chance to use it before we have to empty if for the next service!!!

David

Edited by klyne

. . . and all of the time these expensive purchases of ours are depreciating possibly without ever being used in anger . . .

Gordon