Sign in to follow this  

hi i have fiamma box fitted on the back of my bike rack i am going to Spain if i remove box and fold the bike rack up do i still need some sort of marker for the empty rack ?

No marker board needed Rob, it won't protrude far enough to be considered a hazard.

When not in use, I used to completely remove the bike rack (only two screws at the hinge point) and fit the plastic mounting covers but as Brian says, when folded the rack does not require a hazard markings.

Bike rack removal.jpg

Your MH mounting will probably be similar in principle to this caravan fitting.

I only go by others and put a overhang board on the bike rack even folded as the requirement is for items over hanging .

Dave

15 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

I only go by others and put a overhang board on the bike rack even folded as the requirement is for items over hanging .

Dave

I have also done that on a few occasions the caravan was towed with folded bike rack fitted but with such a short overhang (just inches) I don't believe there is any legal requirement for this. We don't have a bike rack on the MH as there's room in the garage for them.

From what I have seen at ferry ports the majority of brits waiting to board neither have beam deflectors or warning boards, don't know how they get away with it, assuming they do.

17 hours ago, bikerbri said:

From what I have seen at ferry ports the majority of brits waiting to board neither have beam deflectors or warning boards, don't know how they get away with it, assuming they do.

I wonder if that situation will continue given the current political climate. I have been the subject of a random stop to have my papers checked, and I'm sure others have too. That said, many newer cars have "clever" headlamps that can be set to dip left or right, so they look no different from an "unmasked" headlamp to the casual observer.

Gordon.

I don't think beam deflectors are a legal requirement. The fact that you mustn't dazzle oncoming drivers is a legal requirement. You usually have the option to drop the beam to its lowest setting and that is unlikely to cause a problem to anyone. I have never used them and I have driven through a few two way tunnels in Austria without causing anyone a problem. 

David

I agree in principle David, however technically the beam should not deflect under any circumstances towards the oncoming vehicles, as could be the case with a lowered left dipping headlamp when driving on the right of a road with an uneven surface. I have read reports from those who have, "got away with it" and those who have, "been caught" so personally I would not take the risk of not complying precisely with the letter of the law.

Do you recall the set of illustrations I posted on CT some years back?

HeadlampCorrectedLeftDip.jpgHeadlampRightDip.jpg

HeadlampLoweredLeftDip.jpgHeadlampLeftDip.jpg

While touring France in 2018 we spoke to some brits on a campsite who were bemoaning the fact that they had been fined by the police for not having beam deflectors, of course the law could have changed since but I have not seen any comment about this on the web so I will continue to fit them until told otherwise, I even have them on the scooter.

l prefer to use my euro's for touring rather than funding the french government.

In order to quickly fit and remove the headlamp masks on our cars, I fitted them to some quick release stone guards as shown below.

Headlamp Deflectors - Kia Ceed.jpg  Headlamp Deflectors Jeep4.jpg