Sign in to follow this  
g7eor

Handbrake

I have just fitted a handbrake extension to my Autotrail on  a fiat chassis.This lifts the handle up about 6" and makes such a difference I can reach it without stretch. It took all of 5 mins to fit

7 hours ago, g7eor said:

I have just fitted a handbrake extension to my Autotrail on  a fiat chassis.This lifts the handle up about 6" and makes such a difference I can reach it without stretch. It took all of 5 mins to fit

Where did you purchase it from sounds interesting and I find I can't reach if the seat belt is on myself ?

Been thinking about one of those myself, mostly for my better half as she does all the driving abroad while I navigate and pay the toll's.

Where did you get it from and how much?

A company on Amazon called rare-spares also on flebay both same price £79.95. Well worth it I think so OH can reach the lever. Very easy to fit  just 6 6MM screws to tighten up, they even supply a Allen key.

Could do with something similar for our RV. The parking brake is easy enough to apply (being foot operated) BUT the release toggle is hidden so far under the dashboard as to basically be inaccessible without a major stretch from the driving seat, and a fumble around in the dark. Ergonomics? What ergonomics? I've owned RVs with this "feature" for the past ten years and still feel it is a poor design.

The extension handles for the Fiat/Peugeot handbrakes is however a good solution to a problem that would not be there had the handbrake handle been correctly designed in the first place. I believe there are a number of handbrake extension designs available but be aware as some will prevent the cab seat from rotating in layouts that allow this.

Gordon

I think in cases like yours Gordon this extension is worthy of consideration, I only thought of it as it would help Jayne reach the handbrake lever a little easier but it's not located in such a way that she struggles to operate it. At £80 it's not really a bargain.

If there was a reasonable way of extending the parking brake release handle I would have done it by now. Unfortunately the brake is applied with a foot pedal; that's fine but the release toggle is both out of sight, and out of reach without the driver leaning forward and feeling for the thing. Earlier models had a yellow release toggle on the dashboard in full view and reach of the driver. Progress isn't always in the right direction methinks . . .

If I had a Ducato or similar I would certainly pay for an extension handle if I found the standard brake leaver hard to reach.

Gordon.

The one I have on a Ducato chassis can be folded out of the way by removing a pin. the driver's seat can the be swiveled if needed

On 24/01/2020 at 18:26, g7eor said:

The one I have on a Ducato chassis can be folded out of the way by removing a pin. the driver's seat can the be swiveled if needed

That sounds like a good compromise to me.

Gordon.