Sign in to follow this  
klyne

Petition against new Motorhome Tax

I like your thinking Brian. For those who only use their MHs for main holidays and occasional use I can see the advantage. Sadly it wouldn't work for those (usually with smaller units) that use them as regular transport (even if only for low mileages), or like me with a larger outfit that uses it throughout the year yet also do not clock up many miles.

I bought our RV because unusually it offered more space than a caravan, yet I still use it as a caravan - that is to say that I park in one place and explore the area from there, rather than stopping in a different place each night. This latest tax change will probably mean I shall not replace our outfit with anything new but will be looking at pre-2019 models, whose price will doubtless now be higher to reflect the demand. That said on principle I would rather give my hard earned to an owner than the government.

Quite agree Gordon, it could be said that caravan sales should benefit from the new tax changes but looking longer term like it or not the majority of cars will be electric and I wonder how they would cope towing a caravan and if it would shorten the range.

There is no simple answer to the problem other than avoiding those vehicles attracting the new tax.

Thankfully my old trusty MH is under the radar for the time being but I am left wondering for how much longer.

The new tax does of course also affect those that buy a car of £40,000 or more which must be quite a few by what I see on a lot of Club sites!!! Probably once the "new tax" becomes the norm I suspect people won't give it a second thought. The only people it will really affect are those that were looking to buy but hadn't quite made up their minds so I suppose there could be a bit of a blip in sales. The current political/financial situation will no doubt have a bigger impact on sales. The same as it seems to be having on house prices. A new for sale on our estate is priced at £25,000 less than a neighbour sold their similar house for two years ago! 

David

We are definately in a changing world David, no longer a good idea to take anything for granted anymore and I don't think the worst has yet arrived.

The warning signs are there and all that we have become accustomed to will slowly be eroded.

The best interests of the climate will override all other considerations eventually, the government is on record as stating that all new petrol & diesel vehicles will be assigned to history by 2030. Realistic or not the intention is there.

On 12/11/2019 at 21:06, klyne said:

The new tax does of course also affect those that buy a car of £40,000 or more which must be quite a few by what I see on a lot of Club sites!!! Probably once the "new tax" becomes the norm I suspect people won't give it a second thought. The only people it will really affect are those that were looking to buy but hadn't quite made up their minds so I suppose there could be a bit of a blip in sales. The current political/financial situation will no doubt have a bigger impact on sales. The same as it seems to be having on house prices. A new for sale on our estate is priced at £25,000 less than a neighbour sold their similar house for two years ago! 

David

You can still get some new 6b engine models (130 hp) that are not taxed at the new rate but the 6d engine (140 up) that are rated at the new tax . Swift actually have at the bottom of their brochures that you can ask if there is any old 6b model available on the old tax .

I know someone that bought a new Kon tiki  unregistered this week collecting in Dec on the old tax they put based to beat the tax increase .