Sign in to follow this  
RichardK

Road fund tax

Hi,

We will be returning to Motorhome touring after having our static for 5 years.  I plan on going to NEC show in October armed with list of models we are interested in.

Q1) Do all main manufacturers go to the show Bailey, Swift, Elddis etc.

Q2)  Will there be deals to be found on new motorhome purchase if so is it better to get in first or wait until last day.  What kind of discounts can I expect?

Q3)  I am reading about new motorhomes from Sept 2019 having road tax costs of £2000 please tell me this is not the case.

Cheers Marion

Richard

The NEC is an excellent place to go to see new motorhomes as all the major brands both UK and European will be there.  I am not sure any particular day is better than any other with regards to deals unless they are not meeting targets so I suppose the later in the show the better but it might also extend the delivery time. Unfortunately VED is dues to increase on vans registered after 1st September. If you are prepared to buy now you might find a model made before they started to add emission figures on the Certificate of Conformity which I assume would be taxed under the old regime?

David

On 12/08/2019 at 22:17, RichardK said:

Q1) Do all main manufacturers go to the show Bailey, Swift, Elddis etc.

Q2)  Will there be deals to be found on new motorhome purchase if so is it better to get in first or wait until last day.  What kind of discounts can I expect?

Q3)  I am reading about new motorhomes from Sept 2019 having road tax costs of £2000 please tell me this is not the case.

Most of the major MH suppliers to the UK market plus numerous smaller converters are represented at the NEC. I doubt it will make a significant difference to the price when during the show you talk to a sales person. Remember that for the major manufacturers you have listed, it is dealers or agents that you will be buying from and so various deals may be available for the same make or model of MH on your list. Often however the smaller manufacturers will sell directly to their customers. Regarding road tax payments, I believe the increased payments take effect from when the vehicle is first registered, so it should still be possible to buy a "new" vehicle under the old rules. 

13 hours ago, klyne said:

The NEC is an excellent place to go to see new motorhomes as all the major brands both UK and European will be there.  I am not sure any particular day is better than any other with regards to deals unless they are not meeting targets so I suppose the later in the show the better but it might also extend the delivery time. Unfortunately VED is due to increase on vans registered after 1st September. If you are prepared to buy now you might find a model made before they started to add emission figures on the Certificate of Conformity which I assume would be taxed under the old regime?

Good advice David.

On 24/09/2019 at 21:30, klyne said:

The NEC is an excellent place to go to see new motorhomes as all the major brands both UK and European will be there. 

For anybody interested I've copied a number of press releases about he NEC October show here  under "Events".

Gordon.

On 24/09/2019 at 21:30, klyne said:

Unfortunately VED is dues to increase on vans registered after 1st September. If you are prepared to buy now you might find a model made before they started to add emission figures on the Certificate of Conformity which I assume would be taxed under the old regime?

David

Hi, I have just bought a Motor Home registered on Sept 29th and because of the engine emission level I did not pay the new fee, it will only come into force with the latest euro 6d engines

Its all to do with what is recorded on the Certificate of Conformity so if you  manged to find a model not yet listed with emissions, well done. I am sure the enjoyment will be even greater having saved some money😀

David

Edited by klyne