Sign in to follow this  
Omega54

Hi all from Richard and Christine

Hi all, I have been a participant in CT for a good while now but have joined here, largely for information and guidance. We have been looking at making the jump from a caravan for ages now and have looked at hundreds of  MOHO's. However we have seen one that looks to tick all our boxes and seems to be well received. Would love to hear you views on the Chausson 630. The one with fore and aft electrical drop down single beds and 4 proper belted seats.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Welcome to Motorhome Talk. Can't help with the Chausson unfortunately. We changed to a motorhome five years ago having caravanned for about 30 years. Don't think we will be going back.

David

4 hours ago, Omega54 said:

Thanks What made you change? 

Lots of things really. I think that in the latter years of our caravanning we were using it a bit like a motorhome anyway in that we tended to leave the car on site and use public transport or walk or cycle. Although I think the main game changer was our concern about getting the caravan out of the back garden and having room to hitch up. Now we can just drive out and park somewhere. I also think we were also getting fed up with all the checks, towball security, noseweight, wheel nut torque and the list goes on. Now we can arrive on site and have the kettle on almost immediately we arrive at our pitch. We don't take our motorhome off site once we arrive but I do research sites for access to public transport. Gone are the days when we arrive at a remote campsite. My Blog here http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/motorhome_blog.html gives a bit more info on the decision to change.

David

Edited by klyne

Really interesting blog. This has given us plenty of food for thought. The water/waste situation seems to be a bit faffy but you have it well under control. I think I would just drive across to the MH point being lazy!

Anyway off to check out a Burstner now. One of the downsides of the Chausson is that when the off side bed is lowered (it has a unique layout with twin single beds that drop down independentley of each other) it blocks the habitation door. Could be a bit of an inconvenience as we have a dog so first walkies in the morning would require raising the bed and then lowering it again if I fancy continuing my sleep - I did say I was lazy! 

I think with the water/waste it is more of a problem when you use your own facilities which we like to do.  If you use site showers the requirement to fill up and empty might only be required every 3/4 days.

David

Welcome to Motorhome Talk Richard and Christine,

I like both caravans and MHs (as I'm sure David does too) but we all have to choose the best vehicle to suit our lifestyle. We currently have a MH but tend to use it more like a caravan, in that we take it to a site and leave it there, using either bikes or a small car to tour the area, whereas a MHis probably better suited to short overnight stops while touring. We changed to an American RV for the additional space it offered compared with a caravan, plus the car we now use for touring is only a fraction of the size of our previous towcar, thus cheaper to run and easier to park. I wouldn't rule out going back to a caravan but the MH suits us well for now. Sorry I can't offer a opinion on your chosen MH.

Gordon.

First, of to Omega54, welcome to the forum.

Second, to klyne, Thankyou for posting the link to your blog. I enjoyed reading it very much. The one thing that surprised me was that the Bailey doesnt have enough space for two P11's. We use ours in much the same way as you do. ie, park it up, leave it where it is, then either cycle or use public transport to get where we are going. As ours is an "under 6 metre" and yours over, it did strike me that we have two different approaches to the same thing. Thats one of the advantages of motorhoming. Theres not many rights or wrongs, just different solutions.

Hi Scania

I hate to ask this as it's probably blaringly obvious but what are P11's? Suffering from brain fade at the moment!!!

As to size we have, since buying our Bailey, thought that a smaller motorhome would be better for us. Our problem is that recently we have had a lot of fairly minor (fortunately) medical conditions which have been time consumer which has prevented us going away more, ie to Europe. We are both in our very early seventies and we are not sure that we would get value for money by changing at the moment. We like the space but don't feel comfortable taking it out and about where as a motorhome the size you have would be ideal for that. When people ask on forums what I would recommend I always suggest they consider the size and how they are going to use it. 

David

Hi klyne,

My brain is permanently faded! :D P11 is the term we use here for 11kg LPG bottles. I'm guessing you already know this, but the term "PA" then a number would refer to an aluminium bottle, the term "PC" a composite one. They are the only ones I have seen in use here. When they are empty, we either get them refilled or exchanged. I'll be getting mine refilled shortly, just before this years "big trip."

Although many here do have bigger motorhomes, one of the problems here is that if we go southwards, then it always involves using bridges and ferries. The under 6 metre class goes as a normal car, so offers big cost savings. Of course, the space in a bigger vehicle would be appreciated, even if we would hardly use it. Generally, the only thing we do is sleep in it.

Thanks Scania

We use one 6kgs lightweight steel and one 10kgs fibreglass( BP Light as was) both are of the exchange variety. Refillable cylinders are getting increasingly popular in the UK just as many filling stations are getting rid of LPG pumps!

I think I have read about the six metre length being the most economic on bridges etc. I suspect a lot of caravanners who swap to a motorhome try to replicate the space they had in their last caravan and at a later date realise that perhaps smaller would have been more convenient?

David

Although this is drifting a little off topic, I hope that it may give the OP a little food for thought as regards choice. Klyne, if I remember correctly you were planning a trip here, so this will be of interest to you for the future.

To give an example of price differences between "under 6 metres" and "over 6 metres" I'll use the bridge between Denmark and Sweden. At an exchange rate of 10 Swedish crowns to £1, and without the bridge pass. Under 6 costs £56 each way. Over 6 costs exactly double that at £112 each way. Of course, the pass drastically reduces those prices, even with its annual fee added. With it, they become £21,50 or £43 plus the £39 annual fee.

Regarding gas bottles. P11's are the usual ones that are used here. They can be refilled from part or fully empty. I usually do this before a trip, at a cost of £26 per kilo of gas. I think this should be possible with UK bottles, also, as, unlike other Scandinavian countries, we use the left hand POL thread. Exchanging bottles can be problematic. AGA dealers (the big gas supplier here) will only exchange AGA bottles. Others dont mind who makes the bottles....

Exchange gas bottle are a problem as the only truly international one is Camping Gaz which is very expensive. Having said that we find that if both cylinders are full we can manage for a couple of months providing we have electricity.

David

I would have to check, of course, but I would expect that if a gas bottle has to be exchanged, then as long as it has the same size/attachment as the ones here it would not be a problem at the non-AGA dealers.

Interesting you mention Camping Gaz. I've only ever seen their small disposable bottles here. No doubt bigger ones may be available, but again, I would need to check.