Sign in to follow this  
bikerbri

Air Suspension

Anyone considering Secondary Rear Air Suspension for their MH it definately gets the thumbs up off me.

Bought a kit for my model on E Bay and it did everything it said on the tin including fitting, bit of crawling around underneath due to no 4 poster vehicle lifter but did the whole job in around 4hrs.

The ride is so smooth especially on cornering and a 2yr guarantee all for £320. It easily overcomes the extra overhang weight of the Scooter and rack.

:D

Brian

I often feel my motorhome would benefit from such a system but have always been concerned they are very expensive. Can you post a link to the E-Bay page. Personally I would want someone to do it for me as my days of fiddling around under any vehicle is over!!!

David

It is fitted as standard on my MH so I have nothing to compare it with BUT I agree that it is very smooth. I don't carry a lot of weight in mine due to the small payload and keep the pressure fairly low and even still it is excellent.

Will message you David with details later today hopefully.

Valkrider is correct, the difference in ride quality is evident.

We have just booked to have ancillary air ride suspension fitted on our 745 in July David.  Using AS Air Suspension near Warrington, costing about £1600 including fitting etc.  Two lots of friends have it fitted and are very pleased with it.  Also an advantage that the rear can be raised a good bit when going on a ferry.  We're considering using the Portsmouth Spain ferry in November so that became the spur for us to get it fitted after talking about it for the last 4 years!!!

We've decided to keep our van rather than get a new one, hence deciding to have the air ride done.  Find the Alko chassis is good for road holding but can be a bit of a hard ride.  Also decided to upgrade the upholstery to leather whilst down in England.  That's two of the things we were looking for in a new van put into the present one!!  

Jan

£1600 doesn't seem too bad if its fully fitted. I admire Brian for being able to fit his own but I think I am a bit beyond that and I and not sure I have the technical skills either. We were thinking about changing to one of the new Advance range so we got a smaller motorhome but I don't think we are using it enough to warrant changing and the extra expense. We will need a new set of tyres in the next year so that will be the first priority. I do like the idea of a more cushioned ride as like you we do find the ride on the harsh side. Its not so bad on good road surfaces but there don't seem so many of those around these days!!! I will have a look at the AS website.

David

Price will vary on the type of system if just a couple of air bags fitted to the rear and the piping brought to a foot well area and a couple of valves to pressure the system or cost more if the system has a control system and gauges and 12 v compressor fitted .

Basic system is a few hundred quid .

With a overhang and towbar I would like to be able lift the rear on occasion.

Dave

Just a update . Had VB rear semi air suspension fitted with the comfort pack with the air compressor under the driver's seat and the controls and gauges in the dash so the rear can be raised or lowered at the touch of a button . The ride has been improved by less movement passing lorries and less lean at roundabouts and in wind on site . The rear can now be raised a good 6 inches so gives good clearance under my towbar on ramps .

Fitted cost about £1000 by Solar solutions (airide) .

http://www.solarsolutionsltd.co.uk

Dave

2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

The rear can now be raised a good 6 inches so gives good clearance under my towbar on ramps .

Glad you're happy with your purchase. As an aside, it appears that the front of many motorhomes could do with the ability to rise at the touch of a button. The number of Ducattos and Boxers you see with ramps under the front axle only on site says to me that there is something fundamentally wrong with the suspension setup for keeping the motorhome body level on level ground.

Gordon.

Gordon

Our Peugeot can always seems to have a slightly nose down attitude but it doesn't always means it needs levelling at the front. Many hardstanding pitches have a slight downwards position to aid drainage so maybe why you see so many with ramps?

David

What you say makes perfect sense but I notice that even when en route many MHs (mostly Fiats and Peugeots) have a nose down attitude so maybe it would be better if any minor slope on a were set to drain down to the end most likely to be occupied by the rear of the MH. Just my thoughts as fortunately I do not have this problem because our MH sits level on the road and can be levelled on a sloping pitch at the touch of a button. Consequently I don't carry a levelling ramp as the last time I one was with our caravans.

Gordon

It seems to me that the motorhomes that appear to drive downhill are the ones with the bolt on Al-Ko chassis behind the cab unit, not the ones built completely on a commercial chassis or van base. The implication is that the problem is with the ride height of the Al-Ko bit, not the cab. As the cab unit is standard for thousands of Fiat or Peugeot vans maybe this is something that 'Mr Ko' should consider future suspension settings to make their chassis more compatible with the cab?

Kermit

Edited by klyne

@Kermit My Adria has the Fiat chassis extensions and has a very nose down attitude, I think it is part of the modern design to help airflow and economy, or maybe that is wishful thinking.

I suspect it's just "wishful thinking" Valkrider :ph34r:

As far as I can see it is the conversions that have the bolt on Al-Ko chassis that look nose down. The van conversions all look to me that they ride level when loaded. I have to admit that my old Bedford CA conversion had a definite front down stance - until I replaced the worn out front suspension springs (and what a job that was). I'm not suggesting that the front springs are faulty with modern motorhomes but rather that the rubber-in-compression suspension used by Al-Ko for their trailer/caravan chassis is probably not ideal for the back end of a motorhome.

Campervan  

54 minutes ago, Campervan said:

I suspect it's just "wishful thinking" Valkrider :ph34r:

As far as I can see it is the conversions that have the bolt on Al-Ko chassis that look nose down. The van conversions all look to me that they ride level when loaded. I have to admit that my old Bedford CA conversion had a definite front down stance - until I replaced the worn out front suspension springs (and what a job that was). I'm not suggesting that the front springs are faulty with modern motorhomes but rather that the rubber-in-compression suspension used by Al-Ko for their trailer/caravan chassis is probably not ideal for the back end of a motorhome.

Campervan  

You are mistaken about the Alko suspension / chassis extensions. A large number motorhomes are now built on Fiat Ducato chassis, these re suplied with strut front suspension and leaf spring rear as standard. The Alko chassis extensions are exactly that chassis extensions and nothing to do with the suspension. Fiat also supply chassis extensions, Fiat are aluminium and Alko are steel. The reason for the chassis extensions is that motorhomes have more bodywork behind the rear axle than the parcel van that was originally intended by Fiat. Alko do make suspesnion systems for motorhomes but this is usually in the form of air suspension bladders that are added as assistance to the rear suspension leaf springs.

Well well well. Every day's a school day! Thanks for the information Valkrider. I'll have to think up another reason for the out of level stance now, won't I? :blush:

Campervan.