Sign in to follow this  

Looks like I am slowly joining the Techno crowd, just purchased a Nextbase 312 Dashcam for the MH although yet to test it. I am a member of Which? who recently tested a wide range of dashcams and gave top marks to this particular model although I will be investing in the hardwire kit as dashcam and sat nav both powered by Cigar Lighter socket. Like most new tech the prices are dropping and since January they are down from £99.99 to £84, good investment hopefully. Off to Wales on the 12th for long weekend so will soon find out.

Yep, we have them in our 2 cars and I bought an RAC 03 mirror mounted version for the MH so as to avoid sticking anything to the screen that might inhibit use of the internal blinds.

Just in the process of upgrading the older car ones to higher definition versions (720p to 1080p) as my wife witnessed a minor collision in front of her and when we referred to the recording it was all captured, but when trying to get the reg. number of the offending car we were struggling.

I have a Nextbase 402G. Find it quite useful for looking back at journeys especially abroad. I don't know If I got hold of the wrong end of the stick but I am sure I read somewhere that Austria was either banning them or discouraging them because of privacy concerns.

David

Don't worry David they will probably ban motorhomes next for some obscure reason, the privacy thing is a double standard con as there is no such thing as real privacy in the modern world they just like us to believe there is whilst monitoring everything we do or say, and even think.Started with banning Speed Camera warnings on Sat Nav's.I like the idea of a mirror mounted cam mentioned by Rob but not seen any for Nextbase and besides they will probably be banned sooner or later too.

Brian

Our MH has a rear facing camera that replaces the rear view mirror (as there's no through vision) but there is no recording facility and is much more use than a  mirror would ever be as the viewing point starts from the rear wall and not 9 metres in front!

We do also have a small forward facing camera that does record the journeys in some detail but the file size of the recordings can soon mount up if on a long journey. The camera has a small integral screen but when positioned deliberately where it is not visible by the driver cannot be considered a distraction. If we place it at the bottom of the windscreen (where a power source is readily available), that provides the best view but unfortunately places the camera outside of the swept area of the wipers, thus rendering it next to useless in rain. The alternative is to place it high up on the windscreen behind the roof mounted cupboards where it is completely hidden from all occupant's view but unfortunately has to be angled down to view the road immediately in front of the vehicle so reducing the distant information. Placing it within the swept area of the wipers could be considered illegal but I would hope that a motorhome windscreen would be large enough to do this without restricting the driver's view of the road. Ours has no way of either covering up or turning off the monitor screen when in use so again this may be considered a distraction.

In general I like the idea of a forward facing camera but feel that mounting them on the windscreen or dashboard is not ideal. Some vehicles now have integrated rear facing cameras, and a similar idea facing forward would appear to be the best compromise and in my opinion would not infringe on anyone's privacy if only looking at the road ahead but may well provide useful information in the event of a collision.

I also have a Sat Nav that  using the GPS information reminds the driver of the speed limit for each stretch of road as we travel. It is not foolproof but in my opinion is a useful backup to the posted road signs, especially given the amount of time these days that is spent looking for constantly changing limits on apparently identical sections of road. What the Sat Nav does not do is detect radar traps, or hold a database of know speed camera locations, and that I believe is as it should be.  

Gordon.

Our Sat Nav also displays speed limits but also an onscreen logo for Speed Camera's (disabled) but TomTom will activate it if I wish to pay for it. Never looked into this facility to be honest or how it works which it must if you can be charged for it, also when I was planning our France trip I seem to remember somewhere amongst all the webpages reading an inclusion that Sat Navs with activated Speed Camera facility are Illegal either just in France or Europe generally. I used to drive Prison Vans for 10yrs and very often heard the audible warning from the Sat Nav of Gatsco's. Speed Camera's (Safety Camera's) are part of everyday motoring bit like potholes, nobody likes them but we put up with them,but if you do get caught never take the Speed Awareness Course option it is 4hrs of mental torture.Not sure at all about the Europe thing but while we are in France we will be watching the limits carefully.

10 hours ago, bikerbri said:

I seem to remember somewhere amongst all the webpages reading an inclusion that Sat Navs with activated Speed Camera facility are Illegal either just in France or Europe generally.

The speed camera warnings simply use your GPS location to trigger a warning from a database of known camera locations but as you say the system is banned in France. No bad thing to be honest a as we should all be driving within the posted limits anyway.

What I have on my Sat Nav is slightly different as it just displays in the corner of the screen the speed limit for the section of road I am on, with no reference to any speed (safety?) cameras, so effectively is a backup to the posted speed limit signs at the roadside. It does however trigger an alarm if the road speed is greater than the posted speed limit for that section of road, regardless of whether there is a speed camera or not, and that can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Gordon.