Sign in to follow this  

Time for a little advice, just arrived back from a great weekend in West Wales but need advice regarding TV Antenna.Having problems getting Freeview Channels even though I am using a Signal Booster but it did dawn on me that the problem could well be the antenna, mine looks like a UFO with a spike on top and probably fitted well before Freeview was even born so if this is the case can anyone confirm this and most importantly suggest what the best Indoor Aerial to buy. I chose Indoor as I dont really fancy either fitting poles or drilling anymore holes in the MH. I have 2 on watch on E Bay, one is the shape of a tortoise shell(£19) and one is a small 5" pole antenna(£40) both claiming to be capable of landing a man on the moon:D and neither requiring a booster. TV has built in Freeview.

Brian

The Status aerial you have never had a good reputation even when new. This could often be put down (no pun intended) to poor installation and wiring, as much as the actual aerial but nevertheless I always found there was no substitute for a "proper" domestic directional aerial for picking up those weak signals. That said, one of the delights of some sites is the very fact that there is no TV signal ;)

Gordon

We have a roof mounted satellite dish which we are able to use most of the time. However on those occasions that we can't get a satellite signal we use an Avtex aerial that suckers to the outside of the motorhome which I find pretty effective. We also have an Avtex TV so the power for the boosted is built into the co-ax cable. It can be used with non Avtex TV's but you made need a 12v power source nearby.

David

AvtexAerial.jpg

Thanks for the response, food for thought. The online Signal Checker for where I normally park states Excellent Signal for Freeview and having asked a few locals they confirm this although they are using roof mounted TV Aerials so as Gordon suggests I think the 'UFO's days are numbered. Not quite sure how David gets his cable into his MH without opening something but as I use my MH all year round including the depths of winter I suspect a purely internal aerial might be my only option.

Brian

As I only use the aerial occasionally I just put the cable through the window and lock it closed over the cable. An alternative I have used is to connect the cable to the external TV point in the battery locker. It depends where I place the aerial.

David

Thanks David, good news is I have ordered an Avtex Aerial off E Bay so hopefully this may resolve most if not all my issues. MH is due its MOT in the next few days so once that is sorted I can try out my new aerial.

Brian