Sign in to follow this  
Reluctant

Curious and looking

Good morning,

I am considering coming across to (or from) the dark side of towing a caravan, and looking at the options available. Being an old Git I have the necessary C1 (+E) on my old paper licence so 3500kg is not a limiting factor, but finances might be!

14 minutes ago, Reluctant said:

... so 3500kg is not a limiting factor, but finances might be!

I was in this situation 12 months ago. Been pondering a MH for a couple of years before taking the plunge when the right deal/vehicle combination & brand were perceived to fit our needs...only to sell that on after 9 months and currently waiting delivery of perfect combination - take 2! :rolleyes:

No regrets about moving across from caravanning to motorhoming though.

Moved from caravan to motorhome august 2015. No regrets, but despite researching layouts made a mistake and swapped again 1 year later.

This one will be kept until we change our minds again:)

I was lucky with my old Lunar, it just felt right and in very good condition for its age (bit like me) and never looked back. Like everything in life something will just sit comfortable with you, all you have to do is find it:) Although tempted I am not going to make a comparison to women:D

Hi,we moved from caravan to motorhome about 10yrs ago it was the best thing we did, we now find we are going away much more often even if it's just a night away somewhere local, go on take the chance as you only live once

Jeff 

8 hours ago, Prospector said:

Moved from caravan to motorhome august 2015. No regrets, but despite researching layouts made a mistake and swapped again 1 year later.

This one will be kept until we change our minds again:)

Glad it's not just the wife & I that have done this :blush:

6 hours ago, Ploots said:

... we now find we are going away much more often even if it's just a night away somewhere local...

Same here. I found with the caravan we were choosing to take it out fewer times, for longer breaks, because it seemed so much effort to go to. Generally had about 3 trips a year in it - Easter school hols & possibly twice during summer school hols. When we swapped to the MH in May last year we'd already had our Easter break in the caravan but fitted in another 8 trips away in the MH from May to the end of October.

So far for this coming season we've already booked beginning of April, Easter, an extended trip in summer hols plus another shorter break before school returns. 31 nights away scheduled so far and several more trips to fit in. That's without impromptu weekend breaks around the Lake District when the weekend weather forecast looks promising.

The MH definitely encourages me to (i) travel further afield & (ii) take more, shorter breaks that I felt inclined to with the caravan.

12 hours ago, Reluctant said:

Good morning,

I am considering coming across to (or from) the dark side of towing a caravan, and looking at the options available. Being an old Git I have the necessary C1 (+E) on my old paper licence so 3500kg is not a limiting factor, but finances might be!

Welcome to the forum. It seems more an more ex caravanners are looking to change to a motorhome. We made the change four years ago and have not regretted the move. Leaving home and setting up is far less hassle than a caravan. We don't take our van off site once pitched up so tend to look for site near to towns and villages or near transport links. Good luck with your search.

David

1 hour ago, klyne said:

...We don't take our van off site once pitched up ...

We're the same. Our young son loves to make friends and just be free to go out and play. Once he's made some contacts on site he's as happy as Larry and wouldn't give a thank you to be dragged away. We have bikes for us all if required, but sites with space & facilities (or even a beach within walking distance) are what are important to us just at the moment. However we are looking forward to some touring as he gets older.

It has been a steep learning curve after coming across from the dark side last year.  We love it so far but it remains to be seen how we cope with four weeks away later in the year.

Yep...quite a lot to take in with getting familiar with a MH but many aspects do carry over from caravanning - however newcomers to caravans have it harder, I feel.

On 04/05/2017 at 11:16, tonymilford said:

It has been a steep learning curve after coming across from the dark side last year.  We love it so far but it remains to be seen how we cope with four weeks away later in the year.

For us spending a long time in the motorhome was much easier than in the caravan as it is sooo much bigger so we happily lived inside without the need for an awning a big bonus.  We tend to go away more frequently now and I try to find sites within walking distance of amenities.....but we did that in the caravan too as we rather liked being abble to park and leave the car.