Sign in to follow this  
tonymilford

Windscreen cover - Condensation

So, we are now away in the motorhome.  It is cold here in Derbyshire and we seem to get a lot of condensation each morning on the inside of the windscreen and the side cab windows.  We shut the internal blinds but nevertheless, we clearly breathe too much!

Does anyone know if the thermal external windscreen covers are any good at preventing this?  Are they worth buying? Which ones are best (quality, fit, usefulness)?

We may have to visit the Yorkshire motorhome show at Harrogate next month so we could get  one there along with some leveling ramps (the sink doesn't empty properly as we are on a slightly sloping site).

Loving the motorhome so far.

One of the first things we purchased for the motorhome was an insulated external windscreen cover, ours is made by Taylormade. Not only does it stop the condensation but also helps to keep the warmth in or out as is the case in summer. The front section of ours pulls down if we want more light during the day. Wouldn't be without it.

David

WindscreenCover.jpg 

We have the same Taylormade external cover as David's above. It certainly is good and buy the long cover which goes over the scuttle vents of the cab. Some people say that they are bulky to fold up but we haven't found it so. We only use our cover early and late season and managed to get through our early and late season European trips without using it - it is mainly the UK where we find it useful.  

Alan

Interesting.

We've just returned from our 1st trip away in Wales for half term and I noticed that the condensation was really bad.  So much so, that it pools on the dash and I have to mop it up every morning.  I might invest in one of these.  We are going to the NEC show on Friday, so might have a look if they sell them there.

Thanks 

10 hours ago, Tourershine said:

Interesting.

We've just returned from our 1st trip away in Wales for half term and I noticed that the condensation was really bad.  So much so, that it pools on the dash and I have to mop it up every morning.  I might invest in one of these.  We are going to the NEC show on Friday, so might have a look if they sell them there.

Thanks 

As you have an A-Class it might not be a stock item as the one illustrated above is for a standard Peugeot/Fiat cab. Might we worth having a look on the Pilote stand?

David

I was going to try and avoid the Pilote stand... 

I love my current Pilote..I love my current Pilote..I love my current Pilote..I love my current Pilote..

If I keep saying that, I won't go to the show and compare!  You'd be amazed how many of my customers go to the NEC for something small, and end up with a new Caravan or Motorhome.

I only want a new top for my Cadac and that's all i'm looking for.  Honest 

On 2/20/2017 at 20:56, klyne said:

As you have an A-Class it might not be a stock item as the one illustrated above is for a standard Peugeot/Fiat cab. Might we worth having a look on the Pilote stand?

David

It is certainly possible to obtain insulated windscreen covers for A-Class MHs. One source would be Van Comfort, Randall Park Way, Retford, Notts, DN22 7WF (Tel: 01777 701804)

We've had a couple of A-Class RVs and find that although the cab seats swivel to face the lounge area, they are still several feet from the upright windscreen, so once the front curtains are drawn (there are no blinds at the front) the area behind them remains for the most part condensation free, consequently we have never invested in an insulated screen cover.

Gordon.

Thanks Gordon 

Mine does have a blind.  I just don't recall it getting so wet on the inside front screen last year, but then it has been quite cold at night when we've been away this year. 

I couldn't find any at the NEC anyway, but did get my new Cadac hot plate, so i'm happy.. 

2 hours ago, Tourershine said:

Thanks Gordon 

Mine does have a blind.  I just don't recall it getting so wet on the inside front screen last year, but then it has been quite cold at night when we've been away this year. 

I couldn't find any at the NEC anyway, but did get my new Cadac hot plate, so i'm happy.. 

You may find that if you keep the windscreen heater vents open at night this may help to minimise condensation by preventing warmer ( and potentially damp) air from contacting the windscreen but of course it all depends where the vents are in relation to your windscreen screen blind.I think the main reason that ours stays condensation-free is because the windscreen is almost vertical so that rising damp air passes it by but I have no proof of this.

Glad you found a Cadac hotplate at the show though - Happy days.

Gordon.