Sign in to follow this  
sampvt

Economy satellite system

After just receiving our new autosleeper, my wife now wants to go abroad several times a year with out mates, but she needs her daily dose of the news and English TV. I guess there are lots of wizz bang donger roof mounted units out there, but my question to all the buffs, is am I better to get a satellite system for the roof, or are their any others out there that dont require things like sky boxes and subscription programmes. 

We treated ourselves to a Mecatronic 85cms automatic dish about two years ago and it has been excellent. Previously we had a free standing dish but it was often a bit touch and go  when it came to setting up. We use it with an Avtex combi TV which has a built in satellite receiver so we don't need anything else to get all the UK terrestrial channels. We have got a good picture as far south as Carcassonne. Knowing what I know now I would have gone for the autoskew model as that can often pull in a picture at the edge of the footprint. We had ours done at Road Pro who were excellent although lots of other dealer sell and fit them.

David

Freesat does not require any subscriptions. Like David we have an Avtex TV with a built in FTA (Free to Air) Satellite receiver.

We went for the Megasat Caravanman 85 Pro which is a Twin LNB system with autoskew. We got it off Ebay for £1399 and fitted it myself. 

It's work fine so far (2 years), though we don't feel safe using it in windy conditions. We have not been as far south as David so not sure how good reception would be. 

Mike

IMG_0400.JPG

There was a satellite dome fitted to out last two motorhomes when we purchased them and both had Sky boxes installed. As I do not have a Sky subscription clearly I do not have a Sky card, however the tuners on both of these motorhomes have worked perfectly for the free to air broadcasts. 

Gordon.