Sign in to follow this  
gradyp

What is your best buy

Returning to motorhoming hopefully in the next couple of weeks. On the last van I could not live without my sat  dome for my TV , but this time as it is a new van I'll have to install a sat myself at upwards of £2k so all of a sudden it is not that important to me, but to be fair we have had a caravan for the last 18mths without a sat and we have survived.

What are your "can't live without" gadget , accessories , e.g. sat dome , slow cooker , the wife ?

We have a sat dome on our present MH but if it was not there I wouldn't bother to install one. We do have a TV but find the terrestrial Freeview service perfectly adequate in the UK, and if abroad then I'm more likely to be sat in a local café than watching the box. As far as keeping up with the news goes, If I'm on holiday, I really don't want to know.

I do carry a laptop and share the wifi from my phone to access the admin pages for Caravan Talk, Motorhome Talk and Tenting Talk so I can approve new members, and keep up with the day to day forum housekeeping. Other than that, it remains turned off.

One thing I do find really useful is a 240V worktop halogen oven, to the point that it is probably used more than the installed gas oven. Also on the kitchen front, the low wattage kettle is use daily as it frees up a gas rings for more important things - such as cooking breakfast! :D

Gordon.

We have a halogen oven , great for whole chickens or joints of meat , also slow cooker , put everything in the cooker go out for the day and come back to a fully cooked meal

But I think the best gadget for me is my Kindle Fire , fill it with books , if there is wifi available you can go on line also I put a couple of films on it for a quiet wet afternoon

Probably the snooper sat nav, which tells me the next instruction 700 yrds in front, and which exit lane to take on leaving the motorway.  You have to put your height, weight and width, length in, then it can calculate bridges, road widths etc.  Also, it gives warnings of tight bends to left or right, and steep up or down hills!

It is a proper trucker's satnav, and a bit more expensive than ones we've had previously, but not given us the 'run around' yet, so  seems worth the extra.

I am not sure there are any "can't live with" items but I would be a bit lost without my laptop as I use it for surfing and writing my blogs and site reviews. Margaret loves her television and we found the investment in an automatic satellite system very worthwhile albeit quite pricey!!! Just wish I had gone for the autoskew model for when we are abroad.

David