Sign in to follow this  
Suevee

Parking motorhome on a block driveway

Hi,

We have just taken delivery of our first motorhome and plan to keep it on our block driveway during the season. It has been suggested that we might want to consider parking the wheels on something to spread the weight and avoid the possibility of the blocks sinking. Does anybody have any ideas?

Many thanks

Hi Suevee

Our motorhome is parked on our block paved drive as has our previous one and our past caravans. Our caravans caused a couple of dips in the drive because it always went back in the same spot, plus we didn't use it in the winter like the MH. Our MH is 4.25 tonne all up so is fairly heavy but I am fortunate in having a large area to put it on so always move it around. so never parked in one place too long. If I were to leave it for a long period without use, i.e. over winter then I would consider putting some spreader plates under the wheels, methinks.

Alan

I suppose it depends on the original specification of the drive construction. If it had sufficiently deep enough compacted sub-base it should be fine. The standing area where I used to keep my caravan and now my motorhome had minimal base under the large paving slabs which has meant several have cracked or loosened  under the weight of the motorhome. I am gradually restoring the paved area but that is not as easy as it was ten years ago!!!

David

We have 7500Kgs of RV stood more or less in the same place at home on a compacted gravel drive, and no dips have appeared over the years (yet?). As David says, it depends upon the foundations under the block paving.

There is an obvious alternative though, and that is to use the MH as much as possible :D and of course as already suggested, don't park it in exactly the same place at home for too long.

Gordon. 

Also if you park anywhere and the vehicle is not used for say the winter you should at least either jack the wheels off the ground and put vehicle on stands or remove wheels completely to avoid tyre damage, problem is you will impose weight at 4 different points again on your patio.

Tony A