Sign in to follow this  
klyne

Roof Mounted Satellite Dishes

As I mentioned in another post I have inadvertently crushed my satellite dish :o The question now is do I replace with a new, slightly larger free standing dish, or do I go for a roof mounted one like an Oyster which I have been promising myself since getting the Bailey only being put off by the massive investment. Not so keen on the idea of a Dome because of the limited footprint whilst abroad. Has anyone had an Oyster or similar fitted to their motorhome and if so what sort of ball park figure are we looking at and recommended installers? Thinking of 85cms with auto skew.

David

Interested in responses to this David as we're thinking on fixed or portable.

The only thought I had was would a portable be more flexible as it could be placed better \ easier to get a signal if the MH postion was impacted by trees \ building?  Obviously, cost is another plus factor.

Suppose downsides would be stability \ rigidity and assembly?

By far the cheapest option would be to buy another freestanding dish, perhaps a bit larger to allow for the change in footprint. However it has to be stored somewhere whilst  travelling and you have all the hassle of trying to set it up. I think its just the cost of the roof mounted one that frightens me!!! I love the idea of it all being automatic.

David

But what happens if a new Bailey Autograph catches your eye - not easy to transfer to a new MH ?

Alan

Alan

Apparently I am not allowed to have such thoughts!!! Seriously, when they bond them on the roof they use a mounting plate so it would be possible to buy a new plate and transfer the dish to another van.

David

David - we have just had the Avtex Snipe fully automatic sat dish fitted. We decided that fitting a huge dish wasn't really an option, the Snipe has reasonable coverage, auto skew and is light and doesn't take up too much space on the roof. Cost us £800 fitted. So far it is working well, took about 5 seconds to get a strong signal when we were on the C&CC temp holiday site at Dalkeith Country Park. Another advantage us that it is not as affected by wind as much as a conventional shape dish. We feel it is a good option for us.

Jan

I saw that in the Road Pro catalogue. We have an Avtex TV so no doubt it would pair up with that very well. The dilemma is, do we just select a dish for the UK or do we install a dish that will get UK TV in most of France although even with an 85cms dish we won't get total coverage? The only decision we have made so far is to wander up to Daventry (not far from us) and have a talk to the guys at Road Pro.

David

Hi David,

We have an 85cm Oyster with auto skew and cannot fault it, this is paired up with an Avtex L185DRS satellite TV.

Does your TV have a built-in FM transmitter, if so have you tried muting the TV and listening to it via the motorhomes speakers, it is far superior.

Like the idea of a large Oyster or similar but agree the cost is offputting.  Looking to use in France.  We often like coastal sites and I am concerned about wind speeds.  What are the sensible limits for an 85cm Oyster please.

We have just returned from our summer holiday in France and Spain, we never had any problems in France, but when we drove across northern Spain we lost the BBC around Santander.(In Spain we followed the Atlantic coast round to the border with Portugal then back across the centre to the Somport tunnel and back into France. Although it got windy on several occasions we never had to drop the dish. 

Hi David,

We have an 85cm Oyster with auto skew and cannot fault it, this is paired up with an Avtex L185DRS satellite TV.

Does your TV have a built-in FM transmitter, if so have you tried muting the TV and listening to it via the motorhomes speakers, it is far superior.

Terry

I have one of the latest 21inch Avtex TV's with built in satellite receiver. I have heard about the FM transmitter but I couldn't find anything about it in the instruction manual. It does sound a good idea.

David

Hi David,

Switch the TV, go into the Function Menu, go down to the bottom to FM Transmit, now use the left and right arrows and you will see what range it will transmit in, (in our case I think it is 88 to 100) make a note of your range. switch the vans radio on to FM, now go through all the range your TV works in until you find a quiet one, for instance say 88 FM, now in the TVs FM Transmit option select 88, mute the TV and listen to it through the van's radio.

Don't forget when you change sites you will have to check the vans radio for a quiet frequency each time.

Terry  

Thanks Terry, I will give that a try when I get the opportunity. I don't know if its because we are getting old but some programmes seem to have very strange audio so anything that can improve that has got to be a good thing.

David

Had a trip up to Road Pro at Daventry today. Spoke to Roy who took us through the options. I had a wobble about whether just to go for a 65cms dish but the economics don't really make sense as there is only a difference of about £120. We are thinking about a Mecatronic 85cms dish. I decided against auto skew as that adds another £300 pounds to the total and its a trade off against the 65cms dish. Not yet placed the order but I think I am 90% of the way there. Just have to check with Bailey about a 15 kilo sat dish on the roof in terms of internal support. Also have to take the van up to Daventry just to confirm enough room on roof for where it has to go. We are hoping to go away for a few days next week as it will be three weeks after my operation although a little unsure about operating the clutch on 50 miles drive but I have to start somewhere! (my small car is not an issue as its automatic)  If we do go I may well call into Daventry on the way there or on the way back.

David

Good news about the knee David, sounds as if all healing well. Road Pro are good aren't they! We've used them and also found their advice, especially on solar power and inverters, first class.

Hope you get all sorted.

Jan

Just an update, we had the roof mounted dish fitted on 28th October. Only been able to use it in the back garden so far but very easy to operate. Neat job by Road Pro. We went for the Mecatronic 85cms dish without autoskew. I reckon that will see us through most of France and we can then have a look at other satellites once out of range of UK programmes.

David

SatelliteControl.jpg

SatelliteDishOpen.jpg

Hi David

Very smart and neat installation. So it looks like you will be back to France for your travels next year. If you fail to get good reception on your travels you can always use it as a roof top barbeque or paella pan. :D

Alan

Nice set up David :) . Strangely enough, we've got an 85cm Oyster dish and most of our travels are in the UK which equals mega wind at times. Have been thinking about going for a dome that we can use in all weathers as there are many times when the Oyster's had to be lowered as a precaution.