Sign in to follow this  
dougallen237

best route through France to Spain?

Hi All and any advice appreciated on this please;

New to driving a M/H abroad and am driving to southern Spain from Coquelles and would appreciate any advice on the best route please.

trying to avoid going near Paris and using the Millau Viaduct, so choice seems to be  West through Rouen to Bordeaux or east through Lyon.

any thoughts on the weather in early January and whether there is any impact on any particular route?

kind regards all and happy camping in 2014.

My advice is simple - avoid Rouen; visit Millau.

Gordon.

Gordon

Why avoid Rouen ? - it is an absolute doddle even during the summer this year - we did it 4 times with no hold ups and we even went during the Tall Ships Armada in June. Not quite as quick as when the Pont Mathilde was open but more picturesque and not that much longer in time to get through.  

Agree with Millau though.

Happy New Year to you all.

Alan

Why avoid Rouen ? - it is an absolute doddle even during the summer this year 

I wish could say the same Alan. Maybe I've just been unfortunate, but over the past 30 years or so I've had to queue slowly every time I've been that way! I now avoid Rouen like the plague, by leaving the A26 and heading for Le Havre if going to Brittany, or cutting across country through Gisors (where I found a great restaurant on the corner of Rue de Dieppe and Rue de la Gare called Le Chasse-Maree), then down through Dreux, Chartres and Orleans if heading further south. It's only on D and N roads, but they are of a good standard and you can make good time, while seeing a bit of the countryside en route.

Gordon.

We usually we stop just before Rouen at Camping St Claire on our way out and the same on our return then go through Rouen via the Pont Mathilde up until the October before last when the bridge was put out of action (now use the river route) then onto Dreux, Chartres, Bonneval, Chateaudun, Vendome, then on to Vierzon and either the A20 or A71 South while its toll free. 

All in all not too different to you except Rouen holds no fears for us nor many other motorhomers or caravanners - maybe we have been lucky.

Alan

maybe we have been lucky.

...and maybe I've just been unlucky... Still I'm not going to fall out with you over it. Each to his own eh?

Enjoy your hols!

Gordon.