Thinking of moving from caravan to motorhome

Hello

I am a member one the Caravantalk forum, Although using a different name. My thinking is maybe next year change our Bessacarr caravan for a new Adria caravan, But wife has other opinions. 

Any way in the next 10 years I will be retiring and wish to tour Europe, But in a motorhome and the wife is considering this change sooner. But she is not keen on the idea of towing a car behind a motorhome, defeats the object in her eyes, Sorry for all of you that do this.

I will have a look around this forum for some of the questions which have probably been asked before.

A perfect example is CMC Clumber nice place but nothing regarding shops within walking distance. So prior preparation for food and drink I take it.

We would use more UK sites while I'm still working as the lack of holidays. I t does seem the UK has not thought about motorhome owners like Europe.

Does anyone use a tri-axle motorhome in Europe? Is it like driving around Cornwall and the Lake district.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks

David   

Hi David

Welcome to Motorhome Talk. The opinions of changing from a caravan to a motorhome are many and varied as you have probably already discovered! We made the change about seven years ago and we are now on our second motorhome. Despite caravanning for 30 odd years I can't see us going back. I recorded our thoughts about changing in this Blog here http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/motorhome_blog.html You are obviously looking for a large motorhome? Tag axle motorhomes are usually longer, usually eight meters + so you do have to be sure that sites can accept that length. Obviously about the same size as a twin axle caravan. The only issue abroad with such a van is the extra cost if wanting to use the autoroutes. Also don't forget lower speed limits for vans heavier than 3500kgs. Also some town Motorhome Aires can be limited in length as are some campsites so you need to check that out prior to arrival. There are many sites in the UK which are relatively close to towns and villages providing you are both reasonably fit. Sometimes you can walk or often a bus ride away. There are pros and cons of towing a car, something we have yet to seriously consider. In Europe it has to be towed on a proper trailer to be accepted everywhere. In the UK you can use an A-Frame. Perhaps one way of thinking about towing a car is that it does give you extra choice so on some trips it can stay at home whilst on other trips it might provide valuable flexibility. Not everywhere in the UK is geared to easy motorhome parking but if you wanted to visit a large NT property I would always suggest sending them an email or phone call just to check. FRom the replies I have had it seems to be an often an often asked question. My advice would be to think very carefully about which motorhome you by as they are expensive and you won't want to be swapping them over every five minutes. Don't be too influenced by the layout and size of your current caravan. Generally the smaller you can get away with the easier it will be. Good luck with your decision.

David

Thanks for that information, That's what i was looking for. Didn't realise about the lower speed limit on a larger unit. As my name suggests I do drive large vehicle's but not that often in Europe, As we always go with two drivers but do not share a hotel room.

Wife wants seating rather than fixed bed.

Another thing is age with Emission regulations in Europe, and starting to take in the UK cities.

The cost of changing to newer Euro 6 is just not worth it, It does make me wonder what's going to happen to the older vehicles, Be it cars for towing and motorhomes.

Hopefully we will have made our mind up before its too late.

Thanks

David   

We made the change from a caravan to an American RV about ten years ago but its size almost dictated that we really had to have additional transport in the form of a small car. We use a trailer for this, primarily in order to be allowed to use it in most countries, and to overcome the questionable legality of A-Frames at the time. The plus side of a small car is that out of the way places can be visited - where no MH or towed caravan dare go.

If we had a smaller MH we probably would not opt for a second vehicle, using instead a couple of bikes (we actually carry a pair of folding bikes in our RV anyway). 

Gordon

10 hours ago, Coach driver said:

Thanks for that information, That's what i was looking for. Didn't realise about the lower speed limit on a larger unit. As my name suggests I do drive large vehicle's but not that often in Europe, As we always go with two drivers but do not share a hotel room.

Wife wants seating rather than fixed bed.

Another thing is age with Emission regulations in Europe, and starting to take in the UK cities.

The cost of changing to newer Euro 6 is just not worth it, It does make me wonder what's going to happen to the older vehicles, Be it cars for towing and motorhomes.

Hopefully we will have made our mind up before its too late.

Thanks

David   

David

Just worth bearing in mind that the restrictions in Europe re emissions is usually concentrated in towns and cities so if you can avoid those you should be OK.

David