Sign in to follow this  
Richard

Which Gas?

Definitely propane which is in a red bottle if you buy Calor.   BP Lite is propane only and comes in a white plastic bottle.

Propane is a must if you intend to use it in the colder weather

My suggestion would be to go for Propane (Red) as it can be used in low temperatures and you loose very little efficiency by using it in the summer months. Whether you opt for refillable systems will depend on how much gas you use over the course of a year and whether you go abroad for long periods where you can't get replacement Calor cylinders.

David

On 02/10/2013 at 08:39, crusader said:

red or go all the way and fit yellow gaslow system 64p a litre = £ 1.28 a kilo , jim

The problem I have found is the incompatability of UK bottles and those in Spain, tryed to get my UK ones filled without success so now have 2 Spanish propane, and the price of Spanish gas is amazingly cheap, bottles seem to last forever also, quite why such a huge price difference.

I have been refilling my 2 gas bottles for the past 3 years with LPG (which is actually propane) normally for around 70p a litre, I use it for Fridge and cooker only both of which operate quite happily. Each bottle is 12litre capacity so a refill is just £8.40 and lasts for ages.

In Spain you need the special Nozzle Adaptors to refill as with several EU countries who all have their own versions and the price difference I imagine is down to tax, or the lack of it.

I would recommend sticking with Propane too, whether you use exchange cylinders or have refillable ones. I change exclusively to propane throughout the year about thirty years ago when exchanging butane (for summer use) for propane (for winter use) was being made difficult by one of the major suppliers. Shortly afterwards I also changed to an alternative supplier who offered a better price for propane.

In the latter years our towcars all ran on LPG, so I opened an account with a national supplier for that. Our previous RV also ran on LPG so that saved a significant amount of money over the price of petrol for touring, but both that and our present one have had onboard bulk gas tanks for domestic use, so the LPG from the forecourt pumps is also used for that. The exchangable 6kg propane cylinders are currently only used for BBQs at home.

Gordon.