Muddywheels

Officially a motorhome owner at last!

It's a shame Spain and Portugal have this attitude when opinion is as a member of the EU visiting not living you are ok as legal in UK 🙄

Makes me want to avoid visiting Spain and Portugal really but I do like Portugal and hard to get their without going through Spain 😉

Car hire first time me thinks and possibly trailer if we do it regularly 👍

9 hours ago, Muddywheels said:

It's a shame Spain and Portugal have this attitude when opinion is as a member of the EU visiting not living you are ok as legal in UK

I thought there were supposed to be reciprocal agreements between EU states but clearly this only operates when it suits. Maybe the result will be that some will take their custom elsewhere as I indicated in Brian's other thread about North Wales?

It is not just Spain and Portugal it is virtually all of Europe except the UK where A frames are illegal. They are neither legal or illegal in the UK. The UK never adopted the international regulations on trailers which most other countries did, although the D o T in the UK are looking at adopting the regulations according to their website. Basically a motorised vehicle is not, according to the European legislation, a trailer and can never be considered as such as a trailer must not have any method of motive power. This means in most of Europe you cannot even tow a broken down vehicle with a tow rope.

The problem is that A-Frames are not really legal anywhere (because they have not been type approved) so I expect that is why you can't play that its legal in the UK card because its not! The UK authorities are happy to tolerate A-Frames but they have no legal standing so other countries are free to apply their own rules. Another way of looking at it is that if you are touring do you really need the bother of towing a car? If you are long staying at the same site in either Spain or Portugal I am sure you could hire a car as and when?

David

Or do as I have always done and put a small car on a dedicated trailer, the trailer is legal (as it has no motor) and the car is legal because it is simply a secured load on the trailer. The only (and I do mean only) drawback of this arrangement is finding somewhere to store the trailer when not in use. 

See the image in my earlier post (7th May) in this thread. The red Picanto even had a towbar so it could be used move the trailer if needed.

Towing the Fiat is much easier than towing a caravan and leaving the moho on site then using the Fiat is working really well so far especially when we can get the roof down - wish I'd done it years ago and saved the stress/cost of buying 2 Range Rover Sports to pull twin axles 🤣

Just over a month into ownership and a growing list of faults🙄

Travelled 300 miles last week for dealer to carry out repairs and despite 2 days in workshop only a handful were sorted and they added 3 to the list through incompetence - now have scratches to cooker glass lid, damage to flooring and vehicle battery draining due to solar panel smart charging setting being switched off by technician😲

I really hoped Swift were going to better than Elddis but looks like I've jumped out of 1 pile of dung into another😭

Head is telling me reject  - heart is saying give them another chance to sort as any replacement could be just same - wishing I'd not returned to the touring life and booked a cottage or villa instead🤔

This is response from Dealer Customer service -

It is normal for both caravans and motorhomes to have/develop slight ‘niggles’ when first using.

This is response from Swift Customer Service -

Thank you for your enquiry. I am sorry to learn of the issues you have experienced with Hi Style 560. As your contract of sale is with your dealership, please contact them in regards to issues you are experiencing.

£65k of my hard earned cash spent to improve my life and instead I get another load of stress..............

When sales figures are more important than the quality of a product and genuine customer care this is what you get.

Under the Sale of Goods Act you have ''reasonable cause'' to give the dealership a written time limit to rectify all faults or demand a full refund.

Check your rights with Citizens Advice, but don't delay, there are time limits. Photo's are a must.

All the best.

I reported faults within 30 days and gave them opportunity to sort but they now want another attempt 

I just wanted to get it sorted as I really like the MH and getting another will probably have similar issues to resolve. It took me a long time to find an auto we liked 

I'm so sick of the attitude of dealers and manufacturers towards customers - went through this with LR and they also thought plenty of new customers out there to replace unhappy customers but now it's caught up with them - swift should take note 😡

2 hours ago, bikerbri said:

When sales figures are more important than the quality of a product and genuine customer care, this is what you get.

22 minutes ago, Muddywheels said:

I'm so sick of the attitude of dealers and manufacturers towards customers

Sadly caravan and motorhome ownership has increasingly become a lottery regarding build quality, and my perception is that genuine customer care is a thing of the past for the majority of manufacturers and dealers alike. Having moved away from tourers because of shoddy workmanship, I fear that MHs are plagued with the same lack of concern from the industry for the people who buy the products.

I owned caravans between 1986 and 2015 - the issues with last 2 vans contributed to my decision to sell up and give up touring 

Like you say Gordon I thought spending twice the money on a MH from a different manufacturer I could get back to enjoying the freedom of touring again 

I've had a rough 18 months health wise and this was supposed to be a fresh start

Feeling pretty stupid right now 😳

Those of my generation will well remember when everything was built to last and of high quality generally, those values disappeared long ago along with the craftsmen who took personal pride in their work. Today's throwaway society no longer demands quality in favour of cheap prices. Low Cost, High Margins overseen by accountants is the norm.

We all live in a world we helped to create.

Apart from cars Bikerbri 😉

Seriously though I agree in principal as I too remember things generally being built to last and real customer service - I worked as a shop assistant selling electrical goods through secondary school and college and my bosses would of sacked me if I treated customers how is the norm now!

I now believe it doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive the quality is the same and so is the service - in fact I'm finding cheap is often better than expensive in lots of cases - i.e. the 7 year old Fiat 500c we recently purchased for £5k to use with the MH is fault free and making me happier than my last £60k Range Rover Sport Lemon or the current Lemon £65k Swift MH 🙄

British cars were an exception I must admit 😄

My 21yr old MH is still going strong and in no danger of a trade in, recent MOT and no advisories.

Klyne stated recently how its possible to buy a new MH with just a gallon of fuel in it if your lucky😑

Hope your luck improves with your new MH.

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:54, bikerbri said:

Those of my generation will well remember when everything was built to last and of high quality generally, those values disappeared long ago along with the craftsmen who took personal pride in their work. Today's throwaway society no longer demands quality in favour of cheap prices. Low Cost, High Margins overseen by accountants is the norm.

We all live in a world we helped to create.

I couldnt agree more with those comments. After a lifetime either in or connected with the automotive industry, I could tell you stories about accountants that would not believe!

After 1200 miles of deafening banging and rattles from the habitation area I took matters in my own hands and 30 mins with a Philips screwdriver I have achieved nr silence by adjusting all the catches on cupboards🤞

Only driven a short distance since to test but WOW I can not believe it's the same moho and that swift or the dealer couldn't of sorted this before delivery 🙄

If only I could sort everything else so easily ☹

It's amazing what difference that attention to detail can make. We found that some additional bump-stops (felt pads) on the cupboard doors of our previous MH improved the "rattle factor" considerably while en route. The main noise on the present one comes from poorly fitted lift-off hatch covers in the floor of the mini-garage at the rear, and the loosely fitted hard plastic door trim panels of the fridge and freezer. The rattling baking trays were tamed by interleaving tea towels between them for transit.

Gordon.