bikerbri

A million teabags and I'm sorted

I get the hint Scania, but my next post will be about how the MOT went, strangely the only person not posting on the original topic is bigbilly:mellow:

13 hours ago, bikerbri said:

MH topics are a bit thin on the ground at the moment so I'm sure Gordon would understand

He did ! 

Still as they say, "Spring is just around the corner" so hopefully things will start to pick up again before long.

Gordon.

23 hours ago, Gordon said:

He did ! 

Still as they say, "Spring is just around the corner" so hopefully things will start to pick up again before long.

Gordon.

They already are here. My crit'air finally arrived, and trips are already being booked...:)

Tea bags .....No thanks I have not drunk tea in 50+years nor has my wife. It has to be coffee or squash or the odd mug of hot chocolate.

It usually all kicks off again around Easter time so I hope we'll soon be reading peoples plans for the year.

Gordon

On ‎2019‎-‎04‎-‎08 at 08:15, Gordon said:

It usually all kicks off again around Easter time... 

That statement genuinely surprises me. My reasoning being that Easter is the traditional start to the season here. As our climate is worse than the UK's, then my expectations would have been the season there starts about March 1st.

My first trip, which will be over Easter :D is planned, as is one in June. More about those later.

Does anyone know if bikerbri is ok? I've not seen him on here for a while.

37 minutes ago, Scania said:

That statement genuinely surprises me. My reasoning being that Easter is the traditional start to the season here. As our climate is worse than the UK's, then my expectations would have been the season there starts about March 1st.

I believe that apart from those of us who use our motorhomes or caravans all year, the majority only use them for half of the year and say the season runs from Easter to October. That sounds like inefficient use of resources to me.

RV - all year use.jpg

37 minutes ago, Scania said:

Does anyone know if bikerbri is ok? I've not seen him on here for a while.

I'm sure he'll chip in when he reads your comment :)

Still alive and kicking all, just been very busy.

Still unsure about our France trip as Jayne is still waiting to hear about her knee treatment (and Brexit) although like her knee that now seems some time away yet;)

I am an All Year traveller with the MH but sad to admit 2018 has been unusually quiet for me apart from Spain so hopefully this year I can make up for it.

BREAKING NEWS.....Jayne just announced we are going to Wales this Fri/Sat/ Sun:D

Good to read that you are ok bikerbri.

Your weekend trip will be just a few days before my first of the season. That will be Thursday to Monday next week.

Gordon: You make a good point about wasting resources.

Having said that, I'm one of those that does only use it in Summer. Although my Camper is winterised, I'm too tight fisted to buy a set of winter wheels and tyres which are required by law over here for the cold season. The same are not allowed in summer, so, that means two sets of wheels. When winter tyres older than six years are illegal, and summer tyres over ten years, things get expensive.

Is there anything in Sweden that's allowable to personal choice Scania:D Rules, Rules & More Rules have become the norm in many countries and quietly accepted by the masses that can't be bothered to question anything. Once an ''expert'' gets to grips with a subject the end result is legislation.

Was it not an ''expert'' that said the Titanic was unsinkable???:blush:

19 hours ago, Scania said:

Gordon: You make a good point about wasting resources.

Having said that, I'm one of those that does only use it in Summer. Although my Camper is winterised, I'm too tight fisted to buy a set of winter wheels and tyres which are required by law over here for the cold season. The same are not allowed in summer, so, that means two sets of wheels. When winter tyres older than six years are illegal, and summer tyres over ten years, things get expensive.

I can appreciate that the climate will dictate to a large extent the rules regarding winter tyres and I guess they are there with good intentions.

Thankfully we don't normally have the extremes of weather here in the UK so there is no similar law for tyres here - on the other hand there is also no sensible plan in place to keep the roads clear when we do have a sprinkling of snow or a  little ice on the roads, and many UK residents go into "panic mode" when the weather turns. Travel becomes a serious problem when the roads are not cleared or gritted, with schools and workplaces shut because those in charge are paranoid about potential "Health and Safety" issues and being blamed should anything untoward happen.

I enjoy using the MH all year round, so in your position I would probably bite the bullet and save up for the additional expense of a second set of wheels and tyres. Over here, while I do not have spare wheels and tyres, I do have a set of chains for the 4x4, and snow socks for the cars but while they will eventually need replacement through wear, there is no age restriction on their use. Similarly tyres have no age limit other than the recommendation to replace after so-many years (typically 5 to 7 years), providing there is no earlier deterioration in the tread pattern or surface cracking. We also have no registration or formal checking of small trailers such as caravans, horse boxes etc., but the laws of road safety still apply, and we can be punished if an unroadworthy trailer is used - the difference is that the onus is put on the owner/driver to take responsibility rather than be dictated to.

Gordon.    

16 hours ago, bikerbri said:

Is there anything in Sweden that's allowable to personal choice Scania:D 

I would need to think about that one, but, offhand, all I can think of are the after effects of eating pea soup...:D

The climate does affect things, thats true. Sweden is a relatively big country. To give an idea of the size. most on here have probably been to France. The distance from the north to the south of that country is roughly 2/3 of the distance from the north to south of Sweden. During winter, its not uncommon to see a temperature difference of 40 or 50 degrees Centigrade! Obviously, this makes for a huge difference in weather conditions. Yesterday, in the south, it is Spring. In the north, they have several metres of snow! If anyone is interested, I could link to some weather photos that are taken on a daily basis Monday to Friday.

Of course, the bad weather means that we have to be prepared. Thats done in a rather unusual way. Main roads are cleared of snow by our equivalent of the Highways Agency. Generally, they do a good job. Other roads, roughly 85% in this region, are semi-private and maintained by "Road Associations." Things such as ploughing snow, laying asphalt, levelling gravel roads and everything else connected to them are completed by these RA's. Even if it may seem alien to others, it works really well! Here in the village, it also provides an extra income for the farmers in Winter.

Never been to Sweden Scania but a summertime visit might tempt me but as for coping with all that snow in winter that's a definate No No for me.

As for complying with all the legal stuff it could well be a very short visit:D

Meet me in Spain anytime:)

23 minutes ago, bikerbri said:

Never been to Sweden Scania but a summertime visit might tempt me but as for coping with all that snow in winter that's a definate No No for me.

As for complying with all the legal stuff it could well be a very short visit:D

Meet me in Spain anytime:)

Its a good place to visit in Summer. Especially June for the Midsummer celebrations. Thats the one day of the year when pole dancing and pretending to be a frog whilst doing it is considered absolutely normal behaviour.:D Crayfish parties in August are good as well.

21 hours ago, Scania said:

Of course, the bad weather means that we have to be prepared. Thats done in a rather unusual way. Main roads are cleared of snow by our equivalent of the Highways Agency. Generally, they do a good job. Other roads, roughly 85% in this region, are semi-private and maintained by "Road Associations." Things such as ploughing snow, laying asphalt, levelling gravel roads and everything else connected to them are completed by these RA's. Even if it may seem alien to others, it works really well! Here in the village, it also provides an extra income for the farmers in Winter.

Here in the UK I used to work for a large organisation where several thousand people worked. The works site was somewhat remote and so we had our own snow ploughs and our own site road maintenance department. When the weather turned nasty after clearing snow on the site roads, our snow ploughs would also clear the main public road each way to the nearest main road intersection.

This worked perfectly until some jobsworth from the local authority decided that private companies should not clear public roads, consequently thereafter the public access road remained dangerous in the winter, while our site roads were well gritted and safe. Makes you think.

Gordon.