Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brookm54

Sky access through satellites

Recommended Posts

We have a osyster satellite system and would like to access sky programmes, does anyone know how to do it as we are finding it difficult, what equipment do we need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bookm54 :smile-welcome: to Motorhome Talk,

I cannot answer your question myself but I have asked the same on our sister forum "Caravan Talk" so will report back any responses there.

Gordon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are in the UK then it should work with any Sky or Freesat receiver. If you are in Europe then that is a different matter. It should still work close to channel on that setup but further south you need something different. Then you would need your Oyster re-programmed to lock onto Intelsat 907 and you would then need a special receiver as these channels are not intended for use by the public and you will need an 85cm dish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most who responded on Caravan Talk thought I wanted to watch sport - I don't - however it appears that the Oyster system is in essence no different from other systems. The only comment that related directly to Oyster was the fact that it held its memory when lowered of the last satellite used, so will reacquire it when next raised. In contrast our satellite dish sits within a plastic dome on the MH so does not need to be lowered when not in use.

Gordon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Most who responded on Caravan Talk thought I wanted to watch sport - I don't - however it appears that the Oyster system is in essence no different from other systems. The only comment that related directly to Oyster was the fact that it held its memory when lowered of the last satellite used, so will reacquire it when next raised. In contrast our satellite dish sits within a plastic dome on the MH so does not need to be lowered when not in use.

Gordon. 

 

it was the question you posted that ask about watching Ski programmes that made everyone think you wanted to watch sport channels .😁

 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2019 at 15:24, Brookm54 said:

We have a osyster satellite system and would like to access sky programmes, does anyone know how to do it as we are finding it difficult, what equipment do we need. 

 

Your need a sky box and if it is a manual system then your need a sat finder meter and a compass to find 28.2 East . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2019 at 14:10, CommanderDave said:

it was the question you posted that ask about watching Ski programmes that made everyone think you wanted to watch sport channels .😁

Fair point Dave, but there's more to life than watching other people playing games on Sky Sport :D

Personally I wouldn't have a sky system in the house but there was a dish mounted on the MH when I bought it, although I would not have opted to have one given the choice. For the few occasions I've used it, the terrestrial aerial system has worked perfectly well for me in the UK, and when abroad I like to get away from all television, after all, I'm on holiday.

Gordon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gordon said:

Fair point Dave, but there's more to life than watching other people playing games on Sky Sport :D

Personally I wouldn't have a sky system in the house but there was a dish mounted on the MH when I bought it, although I would not have opted to have one given the choice. For the few occasions I've used it, the terrestrial aerial system has worked perfectly well for me in the UK, and when abroad I like to get away from all television, after all, I'm on holiday.

Gordon. 

I'm with you Gordon, we have a non satellite system just the aerial but regardless where we are we watch DVD's not television.

Unfortunately due to our wonderful climate I already watch far too much TV at home so when abroad it's a good film occasionally:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×