Sign in to follow this  
smino0_1

Holiday to france booked..finally

So we have finally got round to making all the bookings nessasary for our trip to france.

So ive had a full major service done incl gearbox oil change.new seal on the drive shafts (seen a small dribble on the off side).upon reading the web they are a common fault and the new ones where different ,so they obviously modified them.New tyres with M+S and 3mpsf symbol.hab serviced. breakdown sorted ,travel ins sorted,tunnel booked and few night outbound and return uk.total 29 days.All i have to do now is pay for it all:D.

Ive looked at the route in fine detail and got some great info with regards where to get on and off the motorways and avaid the tolls,also got a road map as a backup to apps.ive also made up some extra levelling double ramps,just incase we encounter some sloppping pitches.we have the plastic ones but alway better to carry a few more i think.sent off for my 1968 idp forms.

So we can relax a bit now.and we got plenty of scribbled scrap paper from all the places we jotted down over the last 2 weeks.:lol:

All great news Simon, can you post your planned route & campsites?

One tip I will give from bitter experience. In 2017 we toured France and like you planned to avoid tolls which proved to be a huge mistake, before Day1 was over we were on the motorways and very glad we did. In terms of time and fuel usage it cost far more than if we had paid the toll's. France is a huge country and distances between destinations the same.

Brian

We have looked and looked at trying our hand at going non toll route.but as you have said 50/50 decision.So we have decide totry and mix it up for tolls and non tolls at the stops but at a cost.

So here is a planned route.

! thing is that all the non C&mc site had to be paid up front.All the french sites we booked direct said payment upon arrival.

so here goes

French Trip 2019
So we begin our journey's start near Cardiff,South Wales.Joining the M4 at junction 34 or first stop over is Henley on Thames camc site for the 21st of July. then onto Black Horse Fm at folkstone via the A329 ,m3 ,m25 and m26 and m20.
Catching the 7:50 le shuttle arrive france 9:25.
We have decided not to do long trips down and we have booked 4 Vents south east of Paris for 6 days. This will take us thru (A16)Abbeville and onto the n31 to 4Vents.from there we are onward bound to clerrmont ferrand we have choose to take the N36,N7 and A77.
We have looked at staying at the camping car area Courpière les Taillades.but this may change if we dont see good reviews,but will still be in the same area for 2 days.
Back onto the A77 ,over the millau viaduct and on to Beziers A9 and our next 11 days is Camping Le Sainte Marie At perpignan.
From Perpignan we travel west towards A61 A62 and stop over 4 days  in campsas "Camping La Tisarne".
A20 and N147 to Poitiers And staying another 3 days at Camping grande poitiers.
A28 to Abbeville for the longest leg and a last 3 days stopping in Camc site Le clos casheleux. then back on the le shuttle for the 11:50am trip and back in the uk for 11:25.from there we are on to wyatts covert camc site for 2 days and then back on M4 to M5 and down to Burnham on sea
We have a approx milage of 2100m but this may increase as we may have some more sites from there.We are not taking the dogs ,as our daugther will be looking after them so it maybe a return home from there.

Another thing we have paid for flexi for the return route as this will give us leaway for the return.maybe weather dependant too.If it nice we may stay a little longs and cancel the uk booked site at wyatts covert

I can highly recommend a campsite about 30mls south of Clermont Ferrand if your interested

Campsite La Chanterelle @ Champagnac Le Vieux.

Check it out on internet.

If you look at my France @ Spain trips in Motorhome Holidays there are pics

It is worth a brief stopover at the Millau Bridge Visitors Centre, loads of Parking and fantastic views of the bridge.

As you head into France we will be in Brittany slowly making our way back to Dieppe via Normandy.

Brian