Have just finished planning our France Road Trip for 2019, have resisted visiting previous campsites I rated highly so hopefully all goes well.

Dover to Dunkirk 27th May & returning Dieppe to Newhaven 30th June. As usual once we reach the South of France (Antibes) we follow the coast all the way back to Dieppe.

Should be a bit cheaper than it was in August when we were there previously, and quieter hopefully.

Just this week renewed our ADAC membership for 2019 so its all down to Brexit now.

Unlike our last trip we now have the Scooter with us which more than proved its worth in Spain so apart from Campsites there is a lot more planned:)

Brian

We are still deciding whether to go abroad this year. It depends when we get the new motorhome. Also Brexit may/will (?) have an affect. By this time next week we might just have a better idea of where the country is heading, or maybe we won't:unsure:

David

If relying on politicians to sort Brexit I am not holding my breath David.

How did Great Britain every build an empire I wonder?

Brian

23 hours ago, bikerbri said:

How did Great Britain every build an empire I wonder?

I think the uncomfortable truth is that we bullied other countries into submission to create an empire and now that we're on the receiving end of similar tactics, we don't like it. The majority of the UK population have no real control over the actions of parliament, as many in power only pay lip service to the electorate. All we can hope, is that what is best for the majority in the UK population happens to be the same as what is wanted by those in power, on both sides of the channel.

Politics aside, I hope we can all still travel freely to sunny climes after any changes.

Gordon

It seems, almost at the eleventh hour that is dawning on people that we may have gone about the withdrawal from the EU the wrong way? If only we had a leader with a pragmatic approach to start with perhaps we would now be in a more consensual position. Regretfully the rot has been allowed to fester and I fear whatever decision we come to won't start to heal the divide that has grown since the vote. Now none of this may have any affect to any great extent on us as individuals travelling around Europe except for a bit of extra paperwork. But we will all return to a country which seems more divided than I have every know it.

David

Gordon and David echo my thoughts exactly, out of touch does not even come close when it comes to the ability to run a country.

The darker side which does affect us all and not based on the price of crude oil is the undeclared war on diesel vehicles, historically diesel was always a few pence dearer than petrol it is now 10 pence and climbing due to a tax policy to price diesel vehicles off the road eventually. The events in France over the cost of diesel confirms we are not alone.

Are we sleepwalking towards the inevitable, motorhomes included, where eventually producing such vehicles will decline dramatically. Sales of diesel vehicles across the board have sunk and we are not immune. Fuel and Road Tax duty are quietly creeping up targeting diesel not withstanding LEZ's across europe.

I cannot possibly imagine an Electric MH as being remotely viable therefore secondhand/trade in value's of diesel MH's will almost certainly suffer the same fate as cars.

The new MOT tests recently introduced have new lower limits on exhaust gases and year by year they will slowly reduce to such a level and taxes increase to ensure diesel is no longer acceptable on any roads. Soapbox lecture over.......:D

Brian

The interesting thing about the cost of diesel is that over the six years I have owned my motorhome from new the actual price at the pump has surprisingly not changed. In 2013 my annual fuel price was 1.29 litre and in 2018 exactly the same at 1.29 litre. In the intervening years the price has fluctuated as high as 1.32 litre with a low of .98 litre. I would say that is pretty good going. The price would be lower now if sterling was in a better place. The trouble in France, I suspect, is that after many years of low prices they have suddenly been hit hard with big increases in tax which probably should have been done over a longer period.  On the point of diesels being phased out that does not happen until 2040 so diesels will be around at least until 2050 which I suspect won't bother me!!! Just glad my new motorhome will be Euro 6!

BTW the other subject is far from over and we seem even further into non mans land!!!

David 

Thankfully my decision many years ago to stick to either petrol or LPG powered vehicles is paying off at the moment BUT I can see forecourt LPG (GPL) being difficult to source in the not too distant future. I therefore hope that by the time it becomes unavailable completely that if not fully electric, at least hybrid vehicles will be viable for longer journeys, and priced within the average persons price bracket.

Okay I accept that I'm biased but in 47 years of driving I have only ever owned one diesel vehicle, a Land Rover Disco. That was many years ago and I really didn't like it, so it only lasted a few months in my ownership. I have not had another diesel since.

Gordon

David is correct about the price of diesel over recent years but then the difference in price with petrol was a few pence now it's 10 pence and climbing.

The 2040 deadline was set by a Tory Government, should there be a change then historically in british politics Labour may possibly undue all current targets and set their own.

All speculation of course but can we trust what any political party decides upon when it comes to targets? And by 2040 what's the cost of diesel likely to be compared to petrol or other fuels. The 'Save the Planet' brigade have lobbied hard and hijacked a method of transport, namely diesel, and this after the same government encouraged everyone to switch then did a U Turn. JLR admitted they were slow to react to the demise of diesel power and now have vast stocks of cars no-one wants, no longer do we have true freedom of choice.

Diesel is perfect for the size of vehicles we use and I will continue to run my old MH until it's either banned or priced off the road.

Brian

8 hours ago, bikerbri said:

the same government encouraged everyone to switch (to diesel) then did a U Turn. 

While I don't want a Diesel vehicle myself, I completely understand why others would and the choice should remain available at a reasonable price.

I am facing a similar situation with LPG. There was a time when the government of the day were offering grants to have vehicles converted to LPG, as they were promoting it as the clean fuel of the future, even giving concessions to drive freely within the London congestion zone - now they no longer promote it and those using it are left to search out the reducing number of outlets that sell it on forecourts. No need to increase the price, because it probably won't be available from forecourts in the long term.

Who knows what the future of motoring will be short or long term, probably not what the government predicts but personally I have no faith in electric at all plus the loss of revenue from the demise of diesel in fuel/road tax will have to come from somewhere. The only thing certain is uncertainty.

Brian

8 hours ago, bikerbri said:

... plus the loss of revenue from the demise of diesel in fuel/road tax will have to come from somewhere. The only thing certain is uncertainty.

Brian

Dont worry, hidden under the smoke screen that is being put up in Westminster at present, legislation was altered to open the door for  electricity to be taxed at the same levels as petrol and diesel. As most on here are probably aware, there are proposals to ban new vehicles that use fossil fuels of all kinds.

2 hours ago, Scania said:

As most on here are probably aware, there are proposals to ban new vehicles that use fossil fuels of all kinds.

It's already happening. I believe that from next year the centre of Oxford will be a zero emission zone, the busses already are capable of running on electricity only in town. I'm sure that other towns/cities will follow soon even if they haven't started on that track already. 

Gordon.

The clock is definately ticking Gordon and we will all do as we are told:angry:

I am currently in the process of sorting out a Crit'Air vignette for our France trip (if our MH is within the parameters) but we are going through/round Lyon on route to Antibes.

I am told a SatNav will take the A6/A7 by default through the centre and the bypass adds another 80klm if you don't miss the exit to get on it. I can plan my own route around Lyon but options seem messy and time consuming. Several other major cities along the South of France are 'Emergency Zones' with restrictions but as yet not fully LEZ's.

Apparently even the scooter is supposed to have one but where and how we intend to use it should not be an issue.

People living in the affected cities would be aware of the times/rules/restrictions but travellers from abroad on a major road trip are also expected to know every single location.

Ignorance is No defence according to the french police.

Brian

As you say, ignorance is no excuse but the writing is on the wall, and we'll soon all be back on "Shanks's Pony", unless they can find some way of taxing the air we breathe :unsure: