bikerbri

France Again.

I could wait until the politicians have sorted out Brexit but I'm not getting any younger and as our wonderful british winter weather forces me to spend more time indoors my thoughts turn more to hot summer days touring europe in the old MH and front runner at the moment is a re-run of our 2017 tour of France.

The plan will be to visit the places we did not get to see last time although we will begin in Ypres to visit the Menin Gate before heading to the South of France and maybe northern Italy briefly.

As is usual with me I will spend weeks planning the whole route & campsites only to end up somewhere totally different in France:rolleyes:

21 hours ago, bikerbri said:

As is usual with me I will spend weeks planning the whole route & campsites only to end up somewhere totally different in France:rolleyes:

Don't I know that feeling Brian !!!

Wherever you end up, I wish you a safe and enjoyable trip :)

Gordon.

Brian

We often change our minds when abroad not always the main thrust but often places and sites along the route. We  start off with good intentions but very soon realise that we are not as young as we once were and often have to kerb our ambitions but its all good fun. Haven't decided what we are doing next year, its about three years since we have been abroad.

David

Our Spanish trip was a good example David, we had a fantastic time with not a single regret (apart from coming back)and I credit that to a flexable tour plan, some of the most amazing things we saw were never on the original. I think its important to have a general itinary to follow but never set in stone. Its that very flexability that comes with a motorhome I appreciate the most

Brian

Thanks Gordon, I am really looking forward to heading south over the channel and places new. France is a vast country with so much to see and enjoy.:)

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎16 at 16:53, bikerbri said:

...As is usual with me I will spend weeks planning the whole route & campsites only to end up somewhere totally different in France:rolleyes:

Brian, that does sound a lot like us! Back in 2016 or 17, we'd spent weeks planning a trip to Northern France. Even asked for advice on here regarding places to stay. We ended up in southern Germany. This year is looking like France at present, but was originally Slovenia and Northern Italy.

There is one thing that I would like to take the chance to ask others on here, and hope I'm not drifting off topic too much. I got some advice regarding both France and Germany from our version on the AA/RAC, which is the MM (proving we are a metric country! :) ). They told me that some, but not all SatNavs are illegal due to having built in speed camera warnings. Apparently, in France, even if the warnings are switched off, the driver can be landed with a €1500 fine. Its even worse in Germany, as if such a SatNav is in the luggage, its illegal. The German rules have been confirmed by friends that live there, but as yet, I've not managed to get the French rules confirmed. Can anyone shed any light n this?

I use a TomTom while touring France & Spain which comes with Speed Camera installed, we do disable the function but cannot remove it.

I was aware of the rules in France while touring but the majority online who are seasoned travellers there reckon that it is rarely an issue and only ever detected when caught speeding.

There is of course no guarantee but if you don't break the speed limits and the function is disabled the odds are on your side. Basically do not draw attention to yourself.

As for Germany I have never been there.

Brian

Thanks for the quick reply! If you or anyone else decide to visit Germany, I'll try to answer any questions if I can. 

I would have thought that any TomTom software updates would have removed anything that was illegal. I thought it was Switzerland, rather than Germany, that was quite draconian in its approach to speed cameras. Its all a bit of a nonsense really as so many cars have built in sat navs which we have no control over the content so I don't know how that works. It has always been against the law to have radar detection equipment. 

David

I remember when they were called 'Safety Camera's and not there just to raise revenue' according to the government but things never really change which explains why they don't want you to detect them before 'donating to the state' coffers.

At least they are labelled correctly now.

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎19 at 15:51, bikerbri said:

I remember when they were called 'Safety Camera's and not there just to raise revenue' according to the government but things never really change which explains why they don't want you to detect them before 'donating to the state' coffers.

At least they are labelled correctly now.

I remember them being called that as well.

This link regarding speed camera warnings my be interesting...

https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/international-speed-cameras.htm

When younger I rarely had less than 9 points on my licence continuously for speeding but one of the few benefits of getting older is that I now have a clean licence.

When driving abroad my partner Jayne always does the driving and I'm the navigator which suits me perfectly, and as I said if you don't speed then you wont get stopped and your SatNav checked. It's called playing the odds.

Brian