klyne

Just Ordered New Motorhome

After many months of trying to decide what sort of motorhome we wanted next we have finally made a decision. Our current Bailey is coming up to six years old and we have sort of come to the conclusion that at 7.5 metres long it is a bit on the big side and in the 6 years we have never taken it off site. Initially we were thinking about a van conversion as we saw that as a go anywhere vehicle. Trouble was when we sat in them be couldn't reconcile ourselves to the general lack of inside space. We therefore started to look at the Bailey Advance range and in particular the 66-2 model. However at the NEC Bailey launched a new model called the Alliance which mirrors the Advance range but basically is far better equipped. This is what we have gone for and hopefully it will be ready for March delivery. https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/motorhomes/alliance/alliance-66-2

This range is also about 5 inches narrower than our current Approach which we hope will make a bit of difference.

David

Are you transferring your 85cm automatic satellite dish across to the new van David  , be a shame to leave it as they are so expensive 

8 hours ago, foghorn leghorn 2 said:

Are you transferring your 85cm automatic satellite dish across to the new van David  , be a shame to leave it as they are so expensive 

I tend to agree with your sentiments but we have decided to leave it on the old van. Our new motorhome comes with a TV aerial which the current one didn't. As we mainly use the van in the UK we will initially see how we get on with the aerial. We have yet to see how much space there is on the roof of the new motorhome as it has a solar panel before we decide.

David

More travel reports from a new base camp ahead I trust :)

I am sure that your new Advance MH will serve the purpose well.

All the very best,

Gordon.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:31, klyne said:

After many months of trying to decide what sort of motorhome we wanted next we have finally made a decision. Our current Bailey is coming up to six years old and we have sort of come to the conclusion that at 7.5 metres long it is a bit on the big side and in the 6 years we have never taken it off site. Initially we were thinking about a van conversion as we saw that as a go anywhere vehicle. Trouble was when we sat in them be couldn't reconcile ourselves to the general lack of inside space. We therefore started to look at the Bailey Advance range and in particular the 66-2 model. However at the NEC Bailey launched a new model called the Alliance which mirrors the Advance range but basically is far better equipped. This is what we have gone for and hopefully it will be ready for March delivery. https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/motorhomes/alliance/alliance-66-2

This range is also about 5 inches narrower than our current Approach which we hope will make a bit of difference.

David

Well done David and I hope that you both will be pleased with your new purchase when it arrives. It is the same layout as the AutoTrail Navajo we had which was a lot more compact than our last Savannah but the payload was quite low despite ours having been plated at 3650 MPTLM. What sort of payload will you have once you have taken account of all the normal accessories, i.e. batteries, water, gas, fuel and passenger ? With our Navajo we could make up the single beds quite quickly and not being tall managed well with these and they were great to lay out on during the day and evening when just lounging around. What is the storage like for chairs etc. ?

So you didn't go back to a caravan then, we are still happy with our caravan but do miss the friendliness of the motorhome fraternity especially on our long trips through France, etc.

Regards

Alan 

Hi Alan

No question of going back to a caravan as 1) we have got used to a motorhome and  2) We don't want to go back to what we associate a lot of hassle with a caravan and towing. I appreciate others will have a different view. We hope (and only time will tell) that being shorter and narrower than our current van we will be able to get out and about with the new one. I don't mean town centres but perhaps NT and other visitor attractions. The new motorhome supposedly has a user payload of 800kgs  which is a big improvement over what we have now.

David

Congratulations on the intended purchase.

Looking at the technical specifications in the link you posted, have they made a misprint? They give the overall cab width, mirrors folded as 2489mm, and the habitation width including markers as 2280mm. In the photos, the habitation part looks to be wider.  Not that it takes much, but I'm confused...