kiters61

New to Motor Homes

Hi all, I am new to this section of Caravan/ Motorhome Talk, thanks for letting me join your section,

we are possible changing over to MHs just looking @ the moment @ the styles & layouts,

looking to get single fix beds, front lounge  any one got one with this layout ? we want low miles, about 2012 ish 

Hi and welcome to MT forum,

You may find the link in Tourershine's post here interesting? Take a look at his advert where I've linked to the image below.

Gordon.

$_86.JPG

Many thanks for this I will have a look @ it tomorrow, just back from Devon

Hi Kiters61

Welcome to Motorhome Talk. We changed from a caravan to a motorhome nearly six years ago. One thing I would suggest is that you think carefully about size. The bigger it is that less likely you are to take it off site. Ours is 7.5 mts long and is very similar in layout to our last caravan. We are currently trying to make up our mind on what to buy next (if at all) and more than certainly it will be sub 7 mts. We like the idea of a panel van conversion but just wonder if that would be a move too far!!! Good luck with your search.

David

I agree with David. The larger motorhomes tend not to be as versatile for touring as the smaller units. Our present one is 9.8 metres long and is used more like a caravan, in that we trail a second vehicle and use that for exploring the area once we're pitched up.

Previously the VW campervan was the only vehicle we would take on holiday and that would provide both a touring vehicle and overnight accommodation however following a succession of touring caravans of increasing size, we moved to an American RV, primarily for the greater on-site accommodation provided, but the penalty for this is the need for additional transport of some kind. While the RVs have provided some great holidays, I suspect that as there are now just the two of us, our next change will be to something smaller again.

Gordon

I am at odds with David & Gordon we swapped from a caravan to a 7.5m motorhome 15 months ago. Whilst we miss the independence of a second vehicle we would not go for anything smaller as we do like the room and the facilities and not having to make the bed up every night. Living in Europe, my comments may not be appropriate for the UK but we haven't had any issues so far with 7.5m BUT I would not like to go for any longer. The second vehicle issue can be overcome by bikes, electric bikes or a scooter without increasing the size of towing a second vehicle, also by choosing your stop off locations appropriately it can be less of an issue. Cabs, car hire and public transport all cost but don't have the capital outlay of an additional vehicle.

Colin

In principle I don't disagree with your thoughts Colin. We do have folding bikes that are kept permanently in the RV, and a pair of electric bikes we can take, so these do get used for local excursions from the campsites on occasions but given that we already own a small towable car there is no additional expense there. The current car (gold one in the image below) on it's trailer is less than 10% of the motorhome weight and is also narrower than the MH's so fuel consumption does not change noticeably whether towing or not. The various cars we have taken away behind the RVs are shown below. We also have a blue MGTF that could be used however as I don't hold a motorcycle licence, a motor scooter or similar is not an option.

Assorted Toads.jpg

Like you we also chose our current outfit because of the living space it offered on site and it certainly provides a comfortable retreat if the weather turns nasty.

Hurricane_31D_206.jpg

The facilities for MHs, in my opinion,  do appear generally to be better in continental Europe than here in the UK. Things like municipal sites, aires in France and less congested roads all add to the appeal. There can also be a site access issue sometimes because of narrow twisting roads here in blighty, so forward planning is essential.

21 hours ago, klyne said:

...We changed from a caravan to a motorhome nearly six years ago. One thing I would suggest is that you think carefully about size. The bigger it is that less likely you are to take it off site. Ours is 7.5 mts long and is very similar in layout to our last caravan. We are currently trying to make up our mind on what to buy next (if at all) and more than certainly it will be sub 7 mts. We like the idea of a panel van conversion but just wonder if that would be a move too far!!! Good luck with your search.

David

A post I can easily relate to! One of the things with living here is that to go anywhere outside of this country, it always involves using bridges and ferries. Anything over 6 metres/3500kg gets expensive to use on several trips a year. Every PVC we looked at seemed to good for travelling in, but had far too many disadvantages as regards the time it was parked on a site or stellplatz. That was the reason we ended up choosing our Adria. Under 6 metres when travelling, 6,7 when its parked. A payload of over 700kg isnt too shabby either. Having said that....

8 hours ago, Valkrider said:

I am at odds with David & Gordon we swapped from a caravan to a 7.5m motorhome 15 months ago. Whilst we miss the independence of a second vehicle we would not go for anything smaller as we do like the room and the facilities and not having to make the bed up every night. Living in Europe, my comments may not be appropriate for the UK but we haven't had any issues so far with 7.5m BUT I would not like to go for any longer. The second vehicle issue can be overcome by bikes, electric bikes or a scooter without increasing the size of towing a second vehicle, also by choosing your stop off locations appropriately it can be less of an issue. Cabs, car hire and public transport all cost but don't have the capital outlay of an additional vehicle.

Colin

...if I was staying in somewhere such as Spain for a longer period, and only going on ferries/bridges once a year, then I too would seriously give consideration to a larger vehicle. Only because of the way it would be used. 

we are still looking at the moment, we both like the Elddis 185 or 285,  the 185 has a better payload 503 kg but blown heating & MH length @ 7.338 mt  & beds a bit wider, 

285 less payload 490 kg but it has the Alde heating, slightly narrower beds & MH length is 7.408 mt  biggest problem we would a 2016/2018 mod is the high cost? so still thinking  at the moment.

It's a lot of money to commit and you want to get it right, so it's certainly worth taking your time before finally deciding on what make or model to go for. On the assumption that you cannot run the Alde wet heating system while the MH is being driven, my inclination would be to go for the slightly higher payload of the 185 with blown air heating that will tend to warm up quickly once on site. However if you are going to park up for longish periods then the 285 with the wet heating may be preferable because the heating is basically silent and acts more like a domestic CH system.

Our MH works on a blown air heating system but we supplement that with low wattage electric panel heaters on the bedroom walls and an electric oil filled radiator in the cab area.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, we are thinking that the 185 would be better for us as well if we can get one @ the right price, but no going to rush into getting one, so we will be looking around for the time being.

Mick.