Scania

Alpencamping, Meiringen, Switzerland (andtown).

DSCN3101.thumb.JPG.48c609d36dfa7e917baba864bbf4e5a6.JPG

This is without doubt one of the best Campsites we have ever used. The place is quiet, pitches large, and, as it is surrounded by mountains on all sides, quite spectacular scenery abounds. Facilities for all ages are very good, and comprehensive. The thing that we enjoyed was the laid back atmosphere. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for the owners! As an example, at 19:00 one evening, we asked if there were two buns left from the morning bread service. The answer? There will be in 20 minutes. Sure enough, at 19:20 two fresh buns were ready for us.

Apart from covered cooking facilities, there are also several barbeques in a special area. Added to that, there is a small kiosk type thing that serves cooked meals. The family that owns the site also owns the local butchers. As such, the meat is perfect. The chef/cook also takes the greatest care in preparing everything. As usual, food in Switzerland is expensive, but it was well worth the money.

Possibly the most negative thing about the site is the fact that it is about a mile or so outside the town. The have covered this by making sure that there is a transport service in. Just get on it outside the site. 

The site looks squeaky clean and puts me in mind of the view from Camping Jungfraublick in Matten on Gsteigstrasse to the south of Interlaken, where some years ago we stayed with the caravan. Sadly I believe that the owners Florian Balmer & Beatrice Güller have now retired so the site is closed. Until a few years ago we used to see Florian each year on the Swiss Tourist Board stand the NEC caravan show.

The Jungfrau.jpg

16 hours ago, Gordon said:

The site looks squeaky clean and puts me in mind of the view from Camping Jungfraublick in Matten on Gsteigstrasse to the south of Interlaken, where some years ago we stayed with the caravan. Sadly I believe that the owners Florian Balmer & Beatrice Güller have now retired so the site is closed. Until a few years ago we used to see Florian each year on the Swiss Tourist Board stand the NEC caravan show.

Interlaken was more or less in the direction the camera was pointing. I suppose the mountain was as well. From what you wrote, it does seem to me that Swiss campsites are kept clean and in good order. Not like the next site I am planning to post about! Before that, there is more to this one. I've not got to the town yet.

12 hours ago, bikerbri said:

Well Scania thats more like it:)

Have kept a note for future reference.

This is beginning to sound as if we should have a Motorhome Talk gathering! 

Yep! Switzerland is a cracking country to visit (if you have a full wallet) :blink:

Here's a couple more images around Junfraublick that I believe is now a private "glamping" campsite that no longer accept tourers or MHs.

The campsite has a cycle track running behind it that is perfectly safe for all ages to use.

Cycle track behind Camping Junfraublick.jpg

Interlaken is atthe top of the image and Camping Jungfraublick is circled. At first sight the campsite location looks awful; until you realise the motorway is set in a deep cutting so can neither be seen or heard from the campsite. Similarly the adjacent airfield is silent all day as the two patrol jets that take off each morning stay out all day and return at exactly 5pm. There are two lines of electricity pylons at he end of the runway and it is an education to watch the jets take off, fly under the first line of overhead cables, then over the second before banking sharply to the right to miss the  hillside. Only in Switzerland?

Junfraublick location.jpg

Quite correct Gordon. It is a cracking country to visit. We found it expensive as well. Its as you wrote, a deep wallet is needed, thats coming from someone that lives in Sweden, which is also an expensive country in some respects.

Some information about the town of Meiringen.

It has two claims to fame. The first is that it is where meringues are claimed to have been invented. This is the place to eat them...

DSCN3119.thumb.JPG.ece9382f6de0ea2444fb44c9a0607b48.JPG 

Being on the main street, Its easy to find. Here is one of the smaller ones…

IMG_0725.thumb.JPG.442f84bd9618dc405b31c684eb07704d.JPG

The second claim to fame is that it is where Sherlock Holmes fell to his death whilst struggling with his arch enemy, Professor Moriarty. That event took place at the Reichenbach Falls....

DSCN3246.thumb.JPG.b926d7513c2b926355797a8b59399d2c.JPG

A Funicular Railway can be taken for most of the ascent, the rest being on foot. At the very top is a small restaurant, where a well needed drink can be taken after the final climb.

One other thing to do in the town is to visit the Aareschlucht. This is a spectacular natural gorge, well worth visiting. We found the colour of the water running though it amazing.

DSCN3156.thumb.JPG.7f751f06c89fcf6283bee6610e3bcca6.JPG

Finally. This is the nearest restaurant to the campsite...

DSCN3218.thumb.JPG.991d557d965aa84feb024e8debd7a518.JPG

Its about 3 or 400 metres away through a small industrial area. In summer, they have live outdoor entertainment. I'm almost ashamed to say that when in there, we ate what were probably the nicest hamburgers we have ever bought. Washed down with good beer, of course!

Just to highlight my cultured upbringing I have absolutely no idea what a Meringues is but it looks like something I would be happy to try:D

The Waterfalls and Gorge however are just my favourite destination and as for the restaruant its a winner.:rolleyes:

23 hours ago, bikerbri said:

Just to highlight my cultured upbringing I have absolutely no idea what a Meringues is . . .

Take yourself off to Brittany and you'll find meringues on sale all over. They use the egg yolks in much of their cooking, consequently there are lots of egg whites left over so they had to find something to do with them ;) If ever you're in Beg Meil there are ice creams to die for (sprinkled with crushed meringue) on the corner of Rue St Guénolé and next to Le Petit Marmite Creperie.

Enjoy . . . :D

Gordon

Well Gordon we are hoping to tour France again next year (depending on Brexit) so chances are I may get my first official tasting:)

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎18 at 18:11, bikerbri said:

Well Gordon we are hoping to tour France again next year (depending on Brexit) so chances are I may get my first official tasting:)

Bri, your trips are dependent on what happens after Brexit, ours are dependent on the maut being introduced in Germany. As was said on another thread, our freedom is being eroded.

As with ALL 'Green Taxes' and LEZ's or whatever name is given to them it is all about raising revenue and not the environment.

Here in the UK if every vehicle were suddenly Electric the government would lose billions in fuel duty tax & road tax (based on emissions) so why the headlong race to all electric vehicles??

There is always an alternative motive behind anything politicians do.

Theres an old joke about politicians, which proves the statement many a true word is spoke in jest. It goes "How do you tell if a politician is telling lies?" Answer: "You see their lips moving.!"

A very interesting thread that has whetted my appetite - maybe Switzerland will have an extra visitor next year (if I can save enough pennies by then).

Campervan 

Campervan, I see that your motorhome is a VW Bay. By pure chance, there was one of those on the site when we were there. It was owned by a guy from Nottingham that apparently makes a living repairing aircooled VW's.

As things stand, we are beginning to plan next years trips. Its looking seriously like Switzerland will be visited again on one of them. Even if the terrain there makes the satnav go dolally! Not a problem though.

On 14/12/2018 at 14:38, Scania said:

Campervan, I see that your motorhome is a VW Bay.

That's right. Our previous blue and white one was too. Prior to that we had an early grey split screen VW followed by a white one. If only we'd realised the rate they were going to appreciate I'm sure we would not have sold either when we did. We bought them because with their low profile roof-line they were just about the only campers that would fit into our standard garage, as our present one does (just).

Camper.jpg