Scania

Hirzberg Camping, Freiburg am Breisgau, Germany (and town).

As part of a longer trip, we booked several nights on this campsite towards the end of February this year.

One of the co-owners, Anna, replied very quickly to confirm the booking. At the same time, she asked if we could re-confirm our booking 3 days before the arrival date, and also to get there by following the instructions on their website, rather than our SatNav. We replied, asking if we could message 5 days previous to our arrival, as we would be without internet  at the specified time. Of course, this was acceptable.

As requested, we mailed 5 days in advance. Again, a quick reply came. This time from the other co-owner, Julien. He also informed us that Anna could not reply as she had just had their second child! even if some may find this information too familiar, we did not mind. In a way, it made us feel more like family than guests!

On the day of arrival, we followed their directions, and got to the campsite without problems. Later, we found out that this was indeed the easiest way there, as the SatNav wanted to take us through streets whilst not impossible for a motorhome, were a little difficult.

No sooner had we arrived and stopped near reception, Jonathan came up to us, asked us who we were, then asked us to follow him to our pitch. Once there, we reversed in, with him helping to guide us into place. We did notice that the pitch was actually marked with a tag with our name on it to stop others taking it.

After getting things in order, we then went down to Reception to check in properly. There we met Yasmin, who without question was the most service minded person we have ever met on a site. Nothing was to much trouble for her! After checking in, she gave us a map and marked out how to get into town, suggested some places to visit, etc.

Th campsite itself was one of the best. We had a nice shady spot, which was great in 30C heat! Jonathan even asked if we wanted levellers for it, even though they were not needed. Facilities were very good! The showers, toilets etc clean, and with plenty hot water. Fresh water taps were within just a few metres of each pitch. Grey and black water disposal was near the reception, as was other rubbish disposal. In the reception, was also a small shop. The site was quiet, due in part to enforced "quiet times." One around lunch time, and the other after 22:00. Even at other times noise was acceptable, with hardly any noisy children or dogs.

There was a beer garden by the campsite, and accessible from it. On the side closest to the entrance from the site was a bar that sold simple food such as fried chicken, the inevitable sausages, and chips. Of course, there was also beer, and wine! On the far side of the beer garden was a restaurant, which sold a larger range of food. Quality at both places was more than acceptable.

Getting from the campsite into town could be done in different ways. There was a bus stop right outside. A 5 minute walk took us to the tramway, ner to which is a large shopping mall with several supermarkets. In between the bus and the tramway was a cycle path. This same cycle path went also in the other direction, that is to say, out of town. On one of the days we were there, we took a 20km cycle ride, and it still continued. As it followed the river, it was quite nice and also relatively flat, even for me! Naturally, there were "watering holes" at intervals.

On the first dy we were there, we walked into town. Not something that we would do again, as it felt somewhat intimidating. That was due to the fact the walk took us through an area in which there were homeless people. Not something that we had anticipated. We avoided that area on the return by walking along the cycle path.

In the old part of the town, there are quite a few things to do. Theres a nice cathedral which they call the Munster. Somehow, it managed to remain undamaged in a WW2 allied bombing raid which destroyed a lot of the buildings around it. Theres a nice daily market, botanical garden, and various other things to do. One thing that I personally would recommend for beer lovers is the Feierling Beer Garden. It can be found just behind the crocodile in the canal! :D Its the only place this beer can be bought anywhere! The brewery is next door  to it, and so the beer cannot be any fresher!

A very informative review Scania, almost feel like I know the place :)

Perhaps 'Brief and to the Point' although factual does not always do justice to what's on offer around many locations.

Will bear your review in mind when I return from my next european adventure.

Brian 

Thank you Scania.

That looks like a lovely site and a comfortable distance from Calais Port. What a shame that the low emission zone would prevent us entering Freiburg other than via the through road. Never mind, there's bound to be somewhere else where we'd be welcomed.

Kermit

5ba3e452abc15_FreiburgLEZ.jpg.16df906fadac540064f12d4174012073.jpg 

Emissions? I gave up smoking 3 years ago and now use an E Cigarette, does that count?:D

With Brexit and LEZ's it wont be a factor for much longer, we will not be allowed to cross the channel without a brand new MH and International Driving Licence.:angry:

16 hours ago, bikerbri said:

A very informative review Scania, almost feel like I know the place :)

Perhaps 'Brief and to the Point' although factual does not always do justice to what's on offer around many locations.

Will bear your review in mind when I return from my next european adventure.

Brian 

Thanks for the kind words. Of course, the post was looking at things from my own viewpoint. I could understand that some people might feel uncomfortable with how helpful and friendly the staff were.

12 hours ago, Kermit said:

Thank you Scania.

That looks like a lovely site and a comfortable distance from Calais Port. What a shame that the low emission zone would prevent us entering Freiburg other than via the through road. Never mind, there's bound to be somewhere else where we'd be welcomed.

Kermit

For me, Freiburg is at least a two day trip. Interesting to read the words "a comfortable distance from Calais." That could mean a single days journey for anyone living in say Kent.

As regards emission zones. I'm not sure a lot of people bother to get the sticker anyway. We did, as we did not want to get in trouble, and they dont cost a lot. Having said that, if we had an older vehicle with higher emissions, we would not have been able to enter with one! Being a bit doom and gloom, it does feel as if our freedom is being eroded.

34 minutes ago, Scania said:

For me, Freiburg is at least a two day trip. Interesting to read the words "a comfortable distance from Calais." That could mean a single days journey for anyone living in say Kent.

Six or seven hours from Calais sounds perfectly doable in a day and yes wee probably would include a ferry crossing from Dover prior to that. Unfortunately the MH does not comply with the emissions 4 level so we will not be going to Frieburg. I understand the reason for the restrictions but as you say our freedom is being not (so slowly) eroded by legislation. Limited speeds in France also mean that we cannot get to the Med in the time we used to and an extra day is now required. Progress? Maybe but not appreciated by visiting tourists with limited time.

Kermit.

13 hours ago, Gordon said:

Bit of a prophet of doom today aren't we Brian :P

And that was on one of my more optomistic days Gordon:D

As Kermit & Scania said, our freedoms are being eroded slowly but surely.

How long before MH Dealers stop accepting older vans as trade in because of the limitations and the effect that has on their  re-sale potential?

Only last week Birmingham City announced it is introducing Emission Zones with sky high rates to enter and I am sure many other cities/towns in the UK will follow suit so it's not just travel abroad that will be affected. If history is anything to go by Emission Levels will only get lower and lower so even vans that comply today will eventually fall foul of regulations hence the reason VW faked their diesel car emissions because the goalposts never remain static.

Not only Brum - Link

"Oxford City Council and Oxfordshire County Council are proposing to introduce the world’s first Zero Emission Zone in Oxford city centre.

The proposal would see diesel and petrol vehicles banned from Oxford city centre in phases, starting with some vehicle types and a small number of streets in 2020, and - as vehicle technology develops - moving to all vehicle types across the whole city centre"

17 hours ago, Gordon said:

Not only Brum - Link

"Oxford City Council and Oxfordshire County Council are proposing to introduce the world’s first Zero Emission Zone in Oxford city centre.

The proposal would see diesel and petrol vehicles banned from Oxford city centre in phases, starting with some vehicle types and a small number of streets in 2020, and - as vehicle technology develops - moving to all vehicle types across the whole city centre"

Even if I have been to Oxford, I've never been in the centre. The thought does occur that this proposal is not very well worded, therefore not all that well thought out. Presumably, there are shops, etc. in the centre that rely on regular deliveries. Do the councils really expect that lorries are offloaded outside of the area, and the goods delivered by hand to these places? After all they do state "moving to all vehicle types across the whole city centre." All vehicle types even includes cycles, electric cars and so on...:D

Oxford city centre is essentially a cross roads with three of the roads closed to through traffic except double decker busses, taxis etc., if in a private car the shopping public have to either use the congested "park and ride" car parks, or go elsewhere - I choose the latter option.

21 hours ago, Gordon said:

Oxford city centre is essentially a cross roads with three of the roads closed to through traffic except double decker busses, taxis etc., if in a private car the shopping public have to either use the congested "park and ride" car parks, or go elsewhere - I choose the latter option.

Thanks for that Gordon. I've never been into the centre at all. The last time that I was in Oxford was one Wednesday in July, 1981. We got a day off because some bloke called Charlie was getting married...:D

Getting back to the Campsite, I thought I would add a couple of photos. First off, the most negative thing about it....DSCN3088.thumb.JPG.ced05bd343c3c1138aeb7c72fb8024a5.JPG

As can be seen, the road between the pitches was narrow, and not helped by the caravans. If anyone does decide to use this site in the future, make sure that you book in advance, mentioning the length of your motorhome. We only realised how important it was to book when on one day, there was a sign saying it was full, and a row of potential guests on the road outside queueing to get in. Booking this way will ensure that you get a suitable pitch for your vehicle.

This next photo shows the levellers which I think were the ones they lent out to guests, as well as the (in my opinion) scruffy pitches….

IMG_0687.thumb.JPG.b5e52ee6ec0c0383a39fd6c3713d2c15.JPG

Looks like you have to be careful how you open your doors in case you hit the van next to you :(

Saw a few sites like this on our Spanish Tour and needless to say we moved on.

I prefer dedicated marked out pitches with room to put out the canopy, table & chairs plus the scooter.

There are 2 sites in Benicassim exactly like this which did not benefit from our custom, privacy not being on the priority list for the campsite.

There's a balance between being given privacy and being in a social atmosphere. We're away in the MH at present and the site is completely open and I can see something over a hundred caravans from our dinette window. I've also been on sites where we have been allocated a hedged enclosure; some have been large while the outfit has only just fitted on others. Whether an 'open' or 'enclosed' pitch, they each have their benefits and drawbacks but whatever the site layout, I firmly believe that adequate space between outfits is paramount, and should ideally be greater than the legal minimum if we're to feel welcome and avoid a feeling of claustrophobia.

Gordon

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎25 at 11:40, Gordon said:

There's a balance between being given privacy and being in a social atmosphere. We're away in the MH at present and the site is completely open and I can see something over a hundred caravans from our dinette window. I've also been on sites where we have been allocated a hedged enclosure; some have been large while the outfit has only just fitted on others. Whether an 'open' or 'enclosed' pitch, they each have their benefits and drawbacks but whatever the site layout, I firmly believe that adequate space between outfits is paramount, and should ideally be greater than the legal minimum if we're to feel welcome and avoid a feeling of claustrophobia.

Gordon

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎24 at 16:32, bikerbri said:

Looks like you have to be careful how you open your doors in case you hit the van next to you :(...

... privacy not being on the priority list for the campsite.

There was enough space between the pitches, enough to sit outside on chairs, etc. So that wasnt a problem. I do agree with the comments as regards privacy though. As you so quite rightly wrote, Gordon, adequate space is paramount. It wasn't so much the feeling of claustrophobia that I personally considered a bit of a problem. More the difficulties in leaving the site if my Camper had been larger. As it was I was ok, but I could well imagine that those with 8 metre vehicles would have needed to do some shuffling.

All in all though, I would visit this site again.

9 hours ago, Scania said:

All in all though, I would visit this site again.

That's the most important thing for any site :)