Valkrider

Brief review of campsites used in Spain, France & UK August 2018

We had a 4600km trip from Spain to the UK and back. We travelled through France to the Portsmouth > Caen ferry.

This is a brief review of the campsites that we visited:

Municipal Camping, Zaragoza, Spain
A municipal site with gravel pitches of reasonable size. Water and electric on pitch. Wifi access free. OK toilet block. Poor on-site restaurant. Score 6/10

Camping Beau Rivage, Navarrenz, France
A nice site with grass pitches and partial shade, close to town. Water and electric on pitch. Only pizzas available in on site restaurant. Score 7.5/10

Camping Du Plan d'Eau, Angouleme, France
We stayed in the Aire parking for the night, gravel pitch with electricity. Unisex toilet block. Central water and waste disposal site. Score 7/10

Ferme Auberge La Maison Nueve, France
A grass field with electric on a farm. Poor unisex toilet block. Water available outside wash block no waste disposal. Score 4/10

Bridge Villa Campsite, Wallingford UK
Large grass pitch with electricity. Water from central point. Free wifi. Good clean wash block. Score 7.5/10

Briarfields Campsite, Cheltenham, UK
A well planned site with concrete hard standing for the motorhome with separate grass and gravel area. Good free wifi and toilet block. Bus stop outside the gate. Score 9/10

Capesthorne Hall, Nr Macclesfield, UK
Very efficient booking system, pre-allocated grass pitch with water and electric. Modern luxury toilet block. Stately home setting. Score 9/10

Dalston Hall Campsite, Dalston Cumbria, UK
Large grass pitch with electric, water and waste. Poor wifi. Adequate toilet block. Score 6.5/10

Manor Farm Campsite,York, UK
A grass pitch on a working farm with electric. Water from a central point and central waste disposal. Toilet block was average. No wifi. Bus stop outside gate. Score 6/10

Delph Bank, Holbeach, UK
A modern luxury site with gravel pitch and all services. Best toilet facilities of all the sites we stayed in, close to village. £3 single night additional fee. Wifi expensive paid for. Score 9/10 (would have been 10/10 but for the 1 night excess charge and wifi paid for)

Scotts Farm, East Wittering, UK
A very expensive grass pitch with only electric. Wifi unusable. Ideal for children or tents. Close to village and shops. Toilet block OK. Grey waste disposal a problem. Score 4/10

Portsmouth Truck Stop, Portsmouth, UK
Gravel car park with electric. Poor toilet block. No wifi. Noisy with trucks arriving and leaving at all hours. Convenient for ferry. Score 4/10

Le Vieux Moulin, Nr Le Mans, France
Large grass pitch with water and electric. Very expensive for the facilities. Very quiet close to village. Poor free wifi. Unisex toilet block. Score 6/10

Camping Park du Val de L’Eyre, Salles, France
Large grass pitch with electric and water. Quiet site, great water park on site for children. Unisex toilet block. Supermarket opposite gate, close to A23 motorway. Score 7.5/10

Camping San Jorge, Huesca, Spain
Looks to be a municipal site, in need of maintenance particularly the toilet block. Shaded grass pitches with electric. Central water point and waste disposal. Free wifi needed booster then good. Close to large town and supermarkets. Quiet. Score 5/10

Quite a mix of campsites there!!! The only one I have been to id Briarfields at Cheltenham which is a nice enough little site and from a motorhome point of view handy for public transport. Not sure I would rate as high as you do but it is a nice enough site. Pictures here http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/briarfields_touring_park.html

David

Good idea about a campsite review on here. It could be very helpful. Perhaps a separate members only section could be added? I could certainly add some. 

Having said that, I would prefer to see more personal comments on these campsites. With absolutely no disrespect meant to anyone, comments do seem like something that could be read in a catalogue. I'd like to see pluses and minuses, things to do in the area, stuff like that. 

Comments anyone?

I think all reviews by there very nature do contain a measure of bias based on the personal viewpoint of the reviewer, I have been to campsites having read reviews and wondered if I had gone to the wrong place or one with a similar name:) 

I assume you have read my reviews relating to my recent Spanish Trip, I definately prefer peace & quiet so if I find it in a campsite then a good review is the result but someone who prefers the 'Full Monty' with every activity going (even at midnight) at the same campsite then the outcome is somewhat different. I do try to balance reviews based on pitches, location, facilities etc rather than did it suit me personally because to find the perfect 100% campsite is more than a challenge.

Reviews are a good guideline but never the gospel.

Brian

bikerbri, I fully agree with your comments. 

There was one site we were on a while ago, just outside of Hannover, Germany. Every review we had seen said how peaceful and quiet it was. However we were kept awake all night. Not by other campers, but by the fact that it was so close to the autobahn. The traffic noise kept us awake all night! Nowhere had I seen this mentioned. There were other things about this same site that were never mentioned either.

As mentioned, what is acceptable to one may not be acceptable to another.

18 hours ago, Scania said:

There was one site we were on a while ago, just outside of Hannover, Germany. Every review we had seen said how peaceful and quiet it was. However we were kept awake all night.

I don't know your particular circumstances Scania but I had a similar experience many years back with a tent in France where it depended upon which pitch had been allocated. One side of the site was next to a busy junction and people close to the perimeter hedge on that side suffered from traffic noise, while those the other side of the site were pitched down a slope next to a small lake where tranquillity reigned supreme.

As Brian says, it also depends upon the reviewer's point of view too, so generally you can get a better idea of the site if there are several reviews to compare. Always look at the date of the review (as sites can change with time) and take reviews as a guide but never treat them as gospel.

Gordon.

As I wrote in my previous post, I do agree with Brians comments, as I do with yours Gordon.

We were in fact more or less as far away from the noise source (ie the autobahn) as was practical. Therefore, the problem would have been the same anywhere a motorhome could park. Of course, some people may not be troubled by traffic noise. A lot depends on the individual. Someone used to city life may find the noise levels acceptable. I suppose though it is far more usual for people to concentrate on negative aspects rather than positive ones. One positive of the site I am referring to is that it is close to the autobahn, and provides a convenient stop for a single night before continuing the journey. 

What made things worse was the fact that the next site we stayed on was exactly the opposite in every way thinkable!

I can appreciate your comment, particularly as you say the next site was so different. I think I'm like you and prefer silence at night but will accept a little noise if just for an occasional stopover en route.

Gordon 

If you wish, I'll tell the story of the site that followed either in a new thread, or on this one. Just tell me where is preferable. With luck, it should start a discussion.

1 hour ago, Scania said:

If you wish, I'll tell the story of the site that followed either in a new thread, or on this one. Just tell me where is preferable. With luck, it should start a discussion.

The site I referred to earlier was many years ago in the south of France somewhere near the Dordogne (or was it the Garonne?). Oh, I don't know . . .

Please do tell us about your experiences though and let's start another thread about it, shall we? The more threads we can get going the better at the moment as things have been pretty quiet here lately.

Gordon.

3 hours ago, Gordon said:

The more threads we can get going the better at the moment as things have been pretty quiet here lately.

Gordon.

Just done so! I would love it if there was a lot more action on here, so lets hope my thread will generate plenty posts!