Sign in to follow this  
bikerbri

Camping El Porto de la Selva, Girona.

This campsite is named after the town it borders, it is reached through mountains along some of the most dramatic roads/scenery possible.

The town with its port & marina is stunning with very good beaches, bars and cafe's but the campsite does not do it justice.As this was our last camp in Spain we originally planned to stay 4 days but left after 3. The campsite is quite large but definately basic & dusty. Ideal for tents and caravans the pitches are not suited for motorhomes due to tight turning off access lanes and low hanging tree's. electric on each pitch but nothing else.

The whole campsite is not well maintained and facilities are poor, cold water only in toilets/washrooms and low water pressure although they are cleaned daily.

This is the only campsite we used in the whole of Spain that charged extra for having a scooter and at 33 euro's per night the most expensive with the least on offer. Basic 3 star at best.

There is a decent swimming pool (always crowded) due to the beach over 500 metres away and quite a trek on a very hot day, the bar and restaurant we did not use choosing to eat out in town.

The campsite's only plus is its location providing you have transport, again the scooter proved its worth as there is so much to see and visit along the dramatic coastline to the French border.

Lanca, Colera & especially Portbou each offered stunning beaches/marina's with dramatic views from the coast road, had it not been for these our stay in Port Selva would have been brief.

We crossed into France over the mountains from Portbou heading for Perpignan and our final campsite before Dieppe.

DSC00761.JPG

DSCF3513.JPG

DSCF3514.JPG

12 hours ago, bikerbri said:

The whole campsite is not well maintained and facilities are poor, cold water only in toilets/washrooms 

This is the only campsite we used in the whole of Spain that charged extra for having a scooter and at 33 euro's per night the most expensive with the least on offer. Basic 3 star at best.

Sounds like there are probably better options available. Such a shame when greed governs the way a site is run.

Gordon.

Brian

Funny that you mentioned about the extra charge for the scooter. Someone on the CMC forum was complaining that when they were going to a CL they wanted to charge £5 a night extra for the car he was towing behind his motorhome!!!

David

It was my understanding David that the daily charge is for the pitch, the fact that the scooter was parked within the confines of it seemed to be lost on our 'host'. Looking long term the only loser is the campsite as they probably assume your unlikely to return anytime soon so grab every last euro while they can but underestimating any possible impact of poor reviews on the web and social media. How long before they start charging for bicycles? He gained 12 euro's for the 3 days charging for the scooter but lost 33 euro's as we left a day early!!!!

I prefer the idea that you rent a piece of land and permission to use the site facilities, and that's it. One size fits all! Put what you like on your pitch.

Unfortunately not everybody is of the same opinion and understandably those travelling solo often feel it unfair that they should pay the same as a family. Having travelled alone, and with my family, I can see it from both sides and still think it simpler to have one fixed price instead of paying for everything individually. The one thing that really annoys is when I'm charged for an "extra" car with the MH just because my "caravan" happens to have an engine!

Rant over . . .

Gordon.

Never used a campsite in the UK yet as I always wildcamp here but I assume the same thing happens , or am I in for a nice suprise one day:o

As it happens my partner is hinting at a week in Cornwall so if anyone can recommend a good site (near the sea) I would be interested.