Sign in to follow this  
bikerbri

Spanish Road Trip

Back in the UK after our 5 week touring holiday through France & Spain which I can only describe as excellent. I will review the various Campsites we either stayed at, or avoided, individually in another topic purely as a guide. The old MH took on the challenge with flying colours but the star of the trip was the scooter, it allowed us to see far more of Spain than we ever imagined especially away from the 'tourist' trails. A very special mention to Valkrider who briefly met up with us in Oliva and gave us a list of amazing places to visit proving there is nothing better than local knowledge.

As usual for me I did not follow the carefully planned itinary and departed Dieppe straight to Bayonne for our first 'overnight' in Labonne. Once over the border we bi-passed Burgos and Madrid in favour of Toledo for our second overnight. As we arrived we were greeted by a very violent thunderstorm which lasted until the early hours but from then on it was hot sunshine all the way home.

Once again another stopover in Santa Elena close to Granada then on to Manilva (Estepona) to start our actual holiday. A perfect base to visit Gibraltar 20 miles away and Estepona Marina 7 miles away which we did on a regular basis thanks to the scooter. Booked 5 days in Manilva and stayed 7, it was brilliant (Camping La Bella Vista)

Gibraltar was a big suprise, rode straight up to an empty border crossing, quick passport check then up the cable car for photo's and lunch before returning through an empty border crossing without being stopped back to Estepona.

Moving on to Motril again missing out planned stops we hit the buffers as both campsites reviewed were definately not up to standard, we stayed long enough for a pot of tea then moved on to Aguilas which I listed as a 'backup overnighter' just in case. We were now 5 days adrift of our schedule thanks to Motril which would be put to better use as it transpired.

Our next major campsite was in Pilar De La Horadada (Camping Lo Monte) for 5 days, an excellent choice with its historic marina and beaches 5 mins away by scooter.

The star of our trip came next, Oliva.(Camping Kiko Park) We booked 4 days and stayed 10, so much to see and do including Denia (magical) the Caves @ Vall De Ebo and best of all the Monestary Simat De La Valldigna which was amazing, being restored by the Valencian Government. Located in the mountains amid a rural spanish village and views to remember for a lifetime.

Our next planned stop was Benicassim, (Camping Bonterra Park) equally remarkable and a delight to visit. Again the scooter got little rest with so much to see and visit high in the mountains and again views to remember for ever.

Our final spanish site was (Camping El Porto de la Selva) just outside the town it was named after. Just 15 miles from the French Border but so many little ports and marina's all with beaches to visit.

Portbou was 20 min ride away and last spanish port before border crossing , it proved a regular trip for the scooter.

And finally back in France our all time favourite stopover near Clermont Ferrand (Camping La Chanterelle) High in the Hills and Pine Forests next to a lake it is the perfect woodland site.

I will review the various campsites (with photo's) for anyone looking for sites in the area's we visited.

Brian

Sounds an interesting trip and will look forward to your reviews.  Did I get the impression, previously, that you were looking to move to Spain?

David