Sign in to follow this  
klyne

A-Frames

I know this can be a subject of interest to motorhomers. The Department of Transport have updated their views on using such devices. Details can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies/a-frames-and-dollies  It doesn't really change anything as far as the UK is concerned but at least they seem to be recognised by D of T. If using one abroad you need to do your homework as there seems very few countries with the enlightened view of the UK!

David

Edited by klyne

Thank you David, that is a useful link that says pretty much confirms my understanding, so I'll continue to use a trailer with the car making up the "load" on that trailer, as that way the car needs no modifications.

Gordon.

Edited by Gordon

Having seen the regard to rules & regulations in the EU I'm not sure what to make of anything.

Travelled the length of France and Spain and completely lost count of the number of non resident vehicles without either Headlight  Beam Deflectors or Warning Boards on overhanging loads, makes me wonder why i even bothered. I even put beam deflectors on the scooter. While waiting to board the ferry in Newhaven not a single UK vehicle had any visible means of complying with the requirements.:o

I'm with you all the way Brian. If there are rules then I will comply with them whether that's not parking on yellow lines or fitting warning boards.

Regarding the headlamp deflectors; on our towcars; we used to stick masks to the clip on stone guards that fitted over the headlamps, thus they were easily applied and removed, however the current car has a toggle lever under the bonnet on each headlamp assembly that switches from left to right dip, so there is no visible sign externally of headlamp alignment until the lights are turned on, even our old 1973 Renault 6TL had a small external lever to flick between left or right dip beam so it really isn't rocket science. We can all make mistakes but I have absolutely no sympathy for those who knowingly flout the rules.

Gordon.

Headlamp deflector Jeep Cherokee.jpg

Headlamp Deflectors - Kia Ceed.jpg

R6 Headlamps.jpg

Bike Rack 04.jpg

I could be wrong Gordon but the main offenders seem to be the Brits!!!

However, warning boards (or the lack of) does seem pretty universal, but like you I will comply simply because 'sods law' follows me wherever I go.

Brian

Whilst I do use the correct signal board on the back of the motorhome if I have the bikes I don't use beam deflectors. There is no requirement by law to do so only that you must not dazzle oncoming traffic. I don't drive at night but recognise that there will be times when lights are require in daylight hours. I set my lights to the lowest setting to the road.I have travelled through quite a few  two way tunnels in Austria without my lights apparently upsetting oncoming traffic.

David

On 6/13/2018 at 20:15, klyne said:

I don't use beam deflectors. There is no requirement by law to do so only that you must not dazzle oncoming traffic. I don't drive at night but recognise that there will be times when lights are require in daylight hours. I set my lights to the lowest setting to the road.I have travelled through quite a few  two way tunnels in Austria without my lights apparently upsetting oncoming traffic.

I completely understand your point of view David but there is always the chance that whilst abroad the unexpected could happen that could require you to drive after dark. I would not do as you do but I guess I'm not a risk taker ;)

Personally I fail to see why the lights of all vehicles could not be vertically dipped like many commercial vehicles are. The headlamps on our motorhome dip vertically and work perfectly well for driving on either side of the road, so for all practical purposes there is no benefit to be gained with a left or right dipping pattern.

Having said that, as long as my headlamps do dip to one side or the other, as they do with our cars, unless there is a switchable alternative, I will always fit headlamp masks even for a day trip, as much to be seen to be doing the right thing as for any practical purpose. I am sure that you've looked at the images of beam patterns on the CT website and I would advocate adhering to the advice there just in case you are stopped by the authorities. 

Gordon.

On 13/06/2018 at 20:15, klyne said:

Whilst I do use the correct signal board on the back of the motorhome if I have the bikes I don't use beam deflectors. There is no requirement by law to do so only that you must not dazzle oncoming traffic. I don't drive at night but recognise that there will be times when lights are require in daylight hours. I set my lights to the lowest setting to the road.I have travelled through quite a few  two way tunnels in Austria without my lights apparently upsetting oncoming traffic.

David

I have read that police don't take the fact you are only driving during daylight notto fit deflectors as it is a requirement that headlights are used under some driving conditions during daylight .

If think we will see a increase of stopping and fining after March when we part company .

Dave