Sign in to follow this  
bikerbri

Touring Europe

Does anyone know the UK rules for taking a vehicle abroad longer than 6 months, I'm told there are vehicle registration problems involved even if you intend to return 12 months after departure.

Brian

Brian

I am not sure there is any issue taking the van out of the UK for longer than six months, except for possible MOT and insurance reasons. Where the rules come in I think is actually having the vehicle in a European country for more than six months as there may be a requirement to register it locally after six months. How that would be controlled I have no idea!

David

Does seem to be a grey area without official guideance, but I was told that it was possibly a DVLA regulation. I might contact them and ask the AA just to be sure. If my plan does go ahead it would be maybe 2 months in 6 various countries around europe starting soon after a new MOT which for me is March. I do have extensive plans already for 2018 although that could change knowing me so best to get clarification just in case.

Thanks for the reply David.

Brian

A couple of things to bear in mind are that there are restrictions on how long a foreign registered vehicle can be in another country. In Spain, for instance, no more than 6 months in any calendar year before it must be locally registered if you are a non-resident. Each county has its own rules so you need to check what those are. The other thing to consider is income tax liability, broadly speaking, more than 183 days in any one country makes you liable to pay income tax in that country, so ensure that you travel around and keep proof of when and where you are just in case. This is even more relevant now that banks share your data with overseas tax authorities.

Thanks Valkrider, I think that just about answers the 6 month mystery

I think if you are moving around and not staying in any one country for more than a couple of months at a time I can't see you would have a problem. There are other considerations for a longer trip away from home, like insurance and medical. I think some insurance companies will insure you for up to a year whereas others will have a restriction on the number of days in a given year. Another issue is house insurance whilst you are away. Usually OK if someone is living there, dropping in now and again often does not count. There are special policies for long term occupancy.  Another issue is medical and medication. Technically if you are out of the country you need to register with your doctor on return but how they would know is another question? Do you have regular medications you need to take. Most doctors will only issue up to three months. In Spain and Italy its easy enough to get regular meds if you show them the prescription script with the details noted. The meds are usually quite cheap as well!!! I know all these things seem to mitigate against taking longer trips but in most cases its just a case of organisation.

David

Thankfully I do not have any of the issues you mention David, health is excellent and a 12 month 'tour' would not cause me any problems. Part of the trip would be to look at potential properties in Spain looking longer term.

Brian

Brian

If you end up on the Northern Costa Blanca give me a yell and we could meet up for a beer?

Colin