Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Where to buy Propane in France

My MH uses Propane gas from bottles,  from UK bottles at first following buying the MH. It wasn't until I was in Spain that I needed to change them, which I did but could not exchange theirs for my UK empties, understandable, and a very pleasant experience as they are much larger and very much cheaper, a replacement is about 12 euro, which is very cheap compared to UK prices for much less gas. It did mean the purchase of a different bottle fitting, but again not expensive. Propane is readily available at all Repsol garages in Spain, but when travelling in France I have yet to find some, not tried to hard as I make sure I do not need any until I arrive home (I keep UK empties at home)

When enquiring where I can buy Propane in France I often get the 'gallic shrug' or faced with almost incomprehensible (probably me not needing to try) self service machines, and a wide range of gas available but non seemingly Propane.

Anyone with more knowledge or expertise than me who can point me in the right direction.

Mike

Most appliances will run perfectly happily on either propane or butane (or a combination of the two), given the correct gas regulator so a local gas supplier should be able to help you in France.

The alternative is to change to an installed and refillable cylinder system (adapters will be needed for some countries) as I have on our motorhome. If you choose the latter then the cylinders have to be designed specifically to be refilled only to 80% and be permanently installed in the motorhome if they are to be filled from Autogas garage forecourts and some independent outlets. The same is true of many forecourts in France but I don't know if this holds also for Spain.

Do Not Fill LPG Cylinders.jpg

LPG-non-refillable-France.jpg

Gas - Installed cylinder in motorhome.jpg

Hi Gordon, That does seem the way to go, I have a fairly large gas compartment Hymer 584 where i think the special cyliners could live.

Perhaps even a dual system, as Spanish gas is very cheap, can you point me to a similar system to yours.

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

The installed single cylinder gas system I have is original equipment with the motorhome but probably the two best know aftermarket systems are Gaslow and Gas It.

Various refillable cylinders are approved by Autogas, and providing they are installed in the motorhome (or caravan) and do not need to be removed for filling, they can normally be refilled from garage forecourts.

It all really depends upon the amount of gas you use, and the number of countries you visit. For frequent trips abroad with little gas usage, unless you can carry sufficient from the UK I'd be inclined to purchase a refillable cylinder (with regulator?) in the country you're visiting. However if you intend to take extended tours covering several countries, then an installed system (with a selection of filling adapters) would probably best suit your needs. 

I hope this is some help.

Gordon.

Gaslow International Ltd

Castle Business Park

Pavilion Way

Loughborough

LE11 5GW

Email: sales@gaslow.co.uk

Tel: 0845 4000 600

GAS IT

The Old Church Hall

Groeslon

Caernarfon

Gwynedd

LL54 7DL

Email: Sales@gasit.co.uk

Tel: 01286 832443

Autogas 2000 Ltd

Carlton Miniott

Thirsk

North Yorkshire

YO7 4NJ

Email: shop@autogas.co.uk

Tel: 01845 523213

LPG Shop

Carbon Zorro Ltd

Unit 13, The Beaver Center

Putney Road West

Leicester, LE2 7TD

Email: info@lpgshop.co.uk

Tel: 0116 367 0533

Many thanks Gordon and Trooper, it certaily looks the way to go, and your installation tends me to the gaslow setup, although I shall investgate the others too.

Gordon and Trooper, do you find access to refilling when abroad not a problem (I most certainly agree UK gas prices are very high) as we like to visit  France and Spain, with other countries planned for next year, we usually away at least 4 months at a time, and we mostly do not use camp sites, so we do use more gas than those who prefer them.

Thank you for your help and advice so far, I do appreciate it, as in my previous life was a sailor, came ashore last year and we became a Motorhome people.

Regards

Mike

I've never had a problem filling the LPG tank but be aware that there may be restrictive height or width barriers at some filling stations, also it may be necessary to reverse alongside the pump if your external filling point is on the "wrong" side. The Dutch Bayonet style is the standard UK fitting, and in my experience the most common adapter needed is the one used in France (this can be screwed finger tight directly into the UK fitting as needed).

Remember to wear safety gloves when filling as LPG is very cold and can cause (cold) burns if it contacts the skin.

Gordon.

LPG fitting - UK.jpgLPG fitting - France.jpg

LPG filling gun - UK.jpgLPG filling gun - France.jpg

We normally only go abroad for 3 weeks at a time, so I have only had to "Top Up" the cylinders once in France.

We did it at a Motorway service station, most motorway service stations seem to sell GPL (as they call it) no problem at all, though it is more expensive.

Most people who have had problems have the Filler inside the gas locker.

11 hours ago, Trooper said:

Most people who have had problems have the Filler inside the gas locker.

The LPG refill point for our MH is behind a locker lid (although the locker has no base so air is free to circulate) and is part of the installed cylinder. I think the important things are that I do not (cannot) remove the cylinder from the vehicle for filling, and there is adequate free provision for any spilled gas to disperse.

Gordon.