Sign in to follow this  
bikerbri

No Overnight Parking

I am sure many of us have seen the dreaded sign on our travels and as a dedicated 'Wildcamper' it probably affects me more than most although I do have my 'regular' stopovers in Wales where this is not a problem. Having asked the question why many times from various sources the general perception seems to be that Motorhomes not on sites do little or nothing for local businesses as we 'take everything with us' and therefore no great loss. I normally wildcamp on a 3 day weekend trip and could easily take what I need but other than basics I shop in local supermarkets and eat in local pubs and what could be better than Fish & Chips sitting on the seafront watching the sea? I wildcamp for the peace and quiet and stunning locations either right by a beach or in the mountains, we take our bikes with us and cycle where the MH can't go just to keep the old retired ticking over. As for week long trips to Cornwall etc I use Google Earth and pick spots before setting out, never had a problem yet. I think the moral of this post is probably that 'the freedom to roam' is a basic right and probably the whole point of having a MH in the first place.:)

I tend to agree with the sentiment and leaving aside the issue of personal security, in a perfect world there should be no problem with motorhomers wild camping, however as is often the case, the actions of the few have brought all motorhomers into disrepute. It is exactly the same if one would wish to use a tent to camp away from a designated campsite; increasingly this option is being taken away because of the thoughtlessness of the few who either cause damage or not clear up when they leave.

Personally I treat our motorhome in the same way as we did with our caravans; that is to say that we park on official sites and tour an area either with a small car or on bikes. If we had a small campervan (as we have used in the past) then touring and wild camping would be of greater appeal but our American RV doesn't really lend itself to exploring small country lanes.

I totally agree that any visitor to an area will potentially bring income to the local economy. Even if they do bring their own accommodation and food, they are still likely to visit local attractions and pay the same as others for the privilege. We always travel with enough food for a couple of nights but I guarantee at some point we'll be visiting the local hostelry for a meal and stocking up in local shops.

Gordon.

Valid points there Gordon, as with everything in life there are plus & minus factors to consider. I am not anti campsite by any means but I just seem to be the unlucky one who gets the noisy thoughtless idiots park next to me, talk loudly outside their van while getting drunk till 1am. It has happened to me too often and its not for me to dictate how others behave and complaining to site management just increases the hostility so best avoided. Your correct that the odd few spoil it for the majority even on some of the best campsites and somehow they always seem to know where I am parked:unsure: Strangely enough it has never happened while Wildcamping as often 1 or 2 other MH will appear for the night. Who knows?:mellow: