Sign in to follow this  
carabiker

Elddis 2017 motorhome models

On 17/08/2016 at 10:23, Gordon said:

Just a link?

Any thoughts to contribute? Good, bad or indifferent?

Gordon.

Hi Gordon

I have never looked at the elddis range only on the net,

new to motorhoming after 40 years caravaning

we bought the ideal motorhome (for us ) meets all our requirements

Reading various forums Elddis are not the best on customer support to the end user

I will stick with the swift range (for now) I got great support with the last 2 Swift vans

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Our first caravan was a 1967 Elddis Whirlwind. The Elddis caravan company was set up at his home in Consett, Co Durham back in 1963 by Mr Siddle Cook, son of Thomas Cook who founded the travel company.

As a point of interest he also took over his father's transport company in 1942 when it was named Siddle C Cook Ltd. Elddis Transport was formed in 1971 by Siddle's son Geoffrey Cook, whose own son Nigel Cook is currently chief executive, although the company's roots stretch back to 1881 when Thomas Cook bought his first horse and cart for transport.

Later in 1998 the caravan company was swallowed up by the Explorer Group along with Buccaneer and Compass caravans. As a longstanding name in the industry Elddis had a good reputation for quality and following the launch of the Xplore range of caravans the entire Explorer Group was rebranded as Elddis in 2009. The company now also manufacture motorhomes as well as touring caravans, and models since 2012 have employed their SoLiD construction method, where adhesives are used in place of the many wood screws and bolts previously employed to hold the bodywork together.

Gordon.

Elddis motorhomes are seats for berths , in other words the correct number of travelling seats for the number of berths. It looks like I'm ordering a new 155 Supreme from Preston motorhomes because of this. We want a fixed bed with bench lounging area and they are the only ones with 4 travelling seats. Looked at the Bailey 740 , really liked it and well priced but nowhere for anyone to sit behind the cab , useless if there are 4 travelling.

It is something I struggle to get my head around that manufacturers produce motorhomes of 4 or 6 berth but do not have travelling seats for the berths

A good point well made, and personally I believe it should be a legal requirement for the number of travelling seats (ie forward or rearward facing and with three point seat belts) should equal or exceed the number of berths in a motorhome. Our motorhome can sleep six, and it has seven seats with seat belts, unfortunately they do not comply with my above statement as three of the seats are side facing with only lap belts and are therefore seats that I would not ask anyone to travel in. It does however have six seats in addition to the three side seats that with a little more thought could all have had seatbelts fitted - unfortunately the designer took a cheaper option, and only put belts on four of them.

As I see it there really are only two ways for the manufacturers to be forced to fit an appropriate number of seats with seatbelts. One is for legislation to be introduced requiring it, and the other is simply for the buying public to be aware of this and boycott all models that do not comply. There is however a third, and much preferred method, and that is for the manufacturers to act responsibly and voluntarily fit seatbelts for all potential occupants.

Gordon.

16 hours ago, gradyp said:

Elddis motorhomes are seats for berths , in other words the correct number of travelling seats for the number of berths. It looks like I'm ordering a new 155 Supreme from Preston motorhomes because of this. We want a fixed bed with bench lounging area and they are the only ones with 4 travelling seats. Looked at the Bailey 740 , really liked it and well priced but nowhere for anyone to sit behind the cab , useless if there are 4 travelling.

It is something I struggle to get my head around that manufacturers produce motorhomes of 4 or 6 berth but do not have travelling seats for the berths

Hi

the same aplies  to the Auto sleeper range vey few models  with  4 birth and 4 seat belts

love the finnish and style of the AS , very  up market  !! I can not understand why AS never install Alde central heating

Dave