Sign in to follow this  
tonymilford

Bessacarr E495 2011 Model

We went over to Lowdhams at Huddersfield yesterday and had a good look round.  We both decided that the Bessacarr E495, a six berth with rear lounge may be an option if we take the plunge and trade in  our large caravan for a motorhome.

There were so many to choose from an there were quite a few that seemed at first to tick all the boxes but one thing or another let them down, particularly the lack of comfortable lounging space. Many offered  an excellent dining area, but when it comes to UK spring and autumn you need somewhere to sit in comfort out of the cold and wet.

Some had swivel captains chairs but most of these were located in such a confined space that either one or both could not actually swivel a full 180 degrees so that you can put your feet up on the sofas nearby.

The vehicles with single beds seem to be made for little people.  Yes the beds measured up to 184cm (6ft1inch) but when I lie down on my stomach, my feet would be crunched up and my head tilted on an angle to get in.  I am only 6ft tall, but when laid down, I need at least 6ft 6inches to be comfortable.

Then there is storage.  In our fixed bed caravan, the bedding is always out so we don't have to store it.  In addition, we have a large BBQ, a spare table, an awning and a couple of chairs together with the waste hog which we store under the bed.  We store the water barrel, a broom, a bucket and toilet equipment together with a washing up bowl and some tea light holders in the front gas bottle store.

Admittedly, we won't need the Waste Hog or water barrel but where do people store everything else?

Do I really need a Motorhome with a garage instead of the Bessacarr or should I trim our travelling equipment?

Do I need to carry a hose pipe to fill the on board water tanks or do I have to use a watering can?

These questions get forgotten when one goes to the show room where you can quiz the expert salespeople!

What other equipment are 'Must haves' in motorhomes?

My wife is yet to be convinced that shelling out 38K (less what they give us for our caravan) is going to be beneficial.  Anyone have any persuasive ideas?

Tony

Hi Tony

with a motor it has in built tanks ( keep the aqua  roll & waste at the home garage in case you do a rally)

keep your ramps / chocks

if you do go on a rally along with the aqua / waste may need a pump to transfer from the aqua roll to the onboards tank , the mh may have a 2 pin elec connecter

Get a flat hose in a casstte for filling the fresh water tank , lots of site now have motorhome service point for waste water fraining and top up the fresh water

Get some front wheel mats for wet grass pitches

?should I trim our travelling equipment :-yes but store the items 

after a few trips you will know what you need add from the stored items  at the end of the season . Flea bay !!!

We changed last year ,Bolaro  630 pr end lounge / bed 

the mh makes life a lot easier, both driving and setting up on site ( 10 mins tops)

I 1/2 fill the water tank at home, turn on the fridge a few days before we leave

If you require food look for big super markets

Go and look at Motorhome Parking

A MH rear loung set up is very simular to a caravan you will  settle in (within hours).

PM me if you need more help / advice

Dave

Hi Tony

We took the plunge and did exactly the same last May. We have never looked back! We bought the exact same model (2009) only 9k miles on the clock. We are averaging 25.1 miles to the gallon on our trip to Devon and Cornwall. We enjoyed moving site every 2 days or so and had a wonderful time. As long as you realise that you can't always nip down to the local supermarket, you will be fine. Unless of course you are considering a tow car! We took enough food away to last us 10 days and only needed to top up on basics like bread and milk. It's super to drive (so my other half tells me)! We have a pull out sun canopy and take along a couple of outdoor chairs and a table. Used the shower for the 1st time last week, as we stayed on a number of small sites, it was fine. Go for it! We also traded in our 4 wheel drive for a much smaller car, as we didn't need it to tow anything.

There are certainly some nice MHs around these days but while there are various conversions out there, many seem to major on the same small range of base vehicles, which I feel is a shame. If you prefer a petrol or LPG powered vehicle then the choice is even more limited. Whatever vehicle you choose though it will be your choice and yours alone as you don't have to impress anyone else. I think it is good advice if changing from a towed caravan to at least initially keep all of your caravanning equipment, and as others have said, the only extra you may need is a water hose for topping up the fresh water tank. Depending on which sites you use if there is no MH service area, you may also need to retain some method of transporting waste water to a drain, and collecting fresh. If you are predominently touring then a more compact MH may best serve you, while if staying in one place for a while a larger one is probably better suited although alternative transport then needs to be considered such as bikes, a small car / motor bike, or staying near to bus services.

Gordon.

Thanks to you all for your input.  We have just has a few days away in Brighton in our caravan and we saw quite a lot of motorhomes on the site and immediately 'Googled' them and also spoke to one owner of an Autotrail Apache 700 who was very helpful.

My wife is just about convinced now but the outlay is still of some concern as it will almost certainly use all or most of our nest egg (rainy day funds).  Still, as I keep pointing out to her, this is not a dress rehearsal and we may as well enjoy what we can, whilst we still can.  Sod the kids inheritance!

Tony

The cost of changing put us off for a good few years. We even invested in a new caravan when we should have probably bit the bullet at that time. There were several reasons for us making the decision to swap. As we were getting older we realised that we couldn't cope with the caravan in some circumstances without a mover and we did have a situation when ours went wrong. We were also having problems with neighbours with too many cars always being parked in the wrong place making it a bit stressful when it came to get the caravan out of the back garden. Finally it was the prospect of having to buy a new tow car costing in the region of £25000 that persuaded us that it was the right time to think about changing to a motorhome. When we did the sums and went to visit a dealer when we got an idea of how much we would have the pay to swap, whilst being a lot of money it was perhaps not as bad as we had thought. As the say the rest is history!!! Good luck with your decision.

David

Thanks to you all for your input.  We have just has a few days away in Brighton in our caravan and we saw quite a lot of motorhomes on the site and immediately 'Googled' them and also spoke to one owner of an Autotrail Apache 700 who was very helpful.

My wife is just about convinced now but the outlay is still of some concern as it will almost certainly use all or most of our nest egg (rainy day funds).  Still, as I keep pointing out to her, this is not a dress rehearsal and we may as well enjoy what we can, whilst we still can.  Sod the kids inheritance!

Hi

I retred at 55 years old and considred a motor home for over 10 years

caravanned for over 40 years

Sod the kids inheritance!

what conviced us to change : age now 68 years old minor heath problems 

Main point was we had to put both In Laws in Care homes  ages 87 and 96

They had 1/2 Million in assets  ( bungalow  now sold ) the care homes for both cost £1450 PER WEEK

live for today

so the wife and brothers will not Inherite   any money

The trend now is the meds keep the body going its the brain that fails, Please think about the above

Best regards for the future

Dave