We are relative newcomers to the motorhome world and we have just returned from a trip in the UK where we used our normal car satnav.  In towns the satnav might have taken us the shortest way but in some cases through very narrow roads and in the countryside we have been taken through one track roads in some cases.

We have seen advertised special satnavs for motorhomes which are designed to create friendly routes for motorhomes in order to avoid low bridges, narrow roads etc (eg. Ventura and Garmin).

Does anyone have experience of using such a special satnav designed for motorhomes and if so are they worth it/better than a normal car satnav?  Our vehicle is 2.4 m wide and 6.6 m long.

These special satnavs for motorhomes apparently are rather pricey so we would like some confirmation they are worth the money.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Denmark

I believe there are sat navs designed specifically for truckers, so one of these may best suit you. We have a 9.8 metre long American RV, and often tow a small car trailer behind, but manage perfectly well with standard TomTom backed up by reading the signposts  ;)

If we're heading to a site that is off the beaten track I always check online to see the street view of the access roads, as sometimes approaching from the opposite direction for the last bit can be easier.

Gordon.

I have a TomTom Start 60 which is a middle range normal model to which I have added the camper maps and that worked out cheaper than buy a dedicated caravan/motorhome sat nav. I have heard that there are some cheap trucker models on e-bay? I am not sure that its the dimension of the vehicle that matters so much s the classification of the road? Also important to have a good set of POI's loaded onto the sat nav.

David  

I have a Zenec sat nav system in my Burstner. It is set for a medium size motorhome. It has just brought me home from Spain OVER the Pyrenees. I was not amused, I was terrified. It does not say 'turn around when possible' it just recalculates the route. This is not much use when you reach a point of no return. It did the same last year in the Luberon.

Back to the faithful Tom Tom next time.

You can buy a Tom Tom just for Motorhome and carvans put your vehicle in 2.4 m wide and 6.6 m long.

It should take you the best route I find it very good but still look at maps.

I have favoured my car TomTom Go 5100 Live over the built in that came with the Fiat based Auto Trail we have. Interestingly, on the computer desktop software (TomTom MyDrive) that you can update and forward plan trips with, etc., there is a facility when planning a route to select a car or a truck icon, even though that feature is not present on the TomTom unit itself. You can then forward any route to the unit and it updates itself when switched on.

Hi Denmark, we use a Garmin DEZL 760 in which you can enter your vehicle dimensions and weight, however ANY make of sat nav and its software is only as good as its programmer and updates, oh and I found out the hard way not to fully rely on any sat nav.

Hi

we use teh Tom Tom 6000 truck, enter length, height etc, and away you go, purchased it for our caravan and will use with the motorhome.. you can also download all the campsites as POI.

4 hours ago, SP1 said:

Hi

we use teh Tom Tom 6000 truck, enter length, height etc, and away you go, purchased it for our caravan and will use with the motorhome.. you can also download all the campsites as POI.

I have been wondering about one of the TomTom Truck sat navs as a replacement for my Start 60 which is about 6 years old now. I don't have free map updates with my current system and even one upgrade would reduce the price by quite a bit. Birthday soon so still thinking!!!

David

I've been using the Garmin Camper 760 for a couple of years now. Supposedly, it was designed specifically for motorhomes. Like the TomTom mentioned, height, width etc. can be programmed in.

I've no real niggles with it, other than it is better to use an address than co-ordinates. Here at least they offer free online updates to the mapping.

In my Fiat based Knaus, I did make up a special bracket for it that avoids both drilling holes in the dash, as well as using that silly vacuum thing that always seems to fall off. The bracket makes it easy to hide out of sight also.

IMG_3798.JPG

I also have the Garmin Camper 760 and when I had my caravan even though I had input its actual size it routed me down unsuitable roads. SWMBO came up with a good idea and that was "tell it that we are a bit bigger than we actually are and see what happens". I increased the width and the length a bit and sure enough it started taking us on more appropriate routes.

I like the large screen on it but it can be a bit slow on telling you to turn at junctions. I will probably try it on my motorhome when I get it but it does have a built in Parrot system so at least I will be able to compare the two.

I do like your mounting bracket @Scania

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎12 at 14:33, Valkrider said:

I also have the Garmin Camper 760 and when I had my caravan even though I had input its actual size it routed me down unsuitable roads. SWMBO came up with a good idea and that was "tell it that we are a bit bigger than we actually are and see what happens". I increased the width and the length a bit and sure enough it started taking us on more appropriate routes.

I like the large screen on it but it can be a bit slow on telling you to turn at junctions. I will probably try it on my motorhome when I get it but it does have a built in Parrot system so at least I will be able to compare the two.

I do like your mounting bracket @Scania

Apologies for the late reply.

I did exactly that with mine. Told it I was a little bit bigger than the motorhome was, including the height.  

As regards it being a bit late, mine is exactly the opposite, its a bit early. On one trip, it caused a problem in the middle of Hamburg by leading me into a dead end street. Since then, I've learned to look in the top left corner to check the remaining distance. In a way, I would prefer it to tell me later. Even if a 2,5km warning before an autobahn exit gives me the chance to get in the correct lane.

The bracket is something I made a while ago. I just did not want to use the vacuum fitting or drill holes in the dash. Its a simple piece, I think I have more photos if anyone wants to make a copy.