Sign in to follow this  
Deanofox

Insurance

Hi being new to this Motorhome lark it's seems I,am always asking for advice, but here we go, where's the best place to get good deal for the insurance for MH ???

Hi D

We just got our AT Savannah a couple of weeks ago after switching from caravan.

Got quotes from a number of insurers \ brokers including -

• Caravanguard
  • Comfort Insurance
  • Safeguard
  • Caravan Club
  • Caravan & Camping Club
  • Frank Pickles
  • Towergate
  • Adrian Flux
  • RAC
  • Coast Insurance
  • AIB
  • Saga

Our caravan was through C&CC however the best quote received for our MH was through CC (by a long way!) and was cheaper than the caravan despite it being nearly 5 times the value!

Insurance seems to be a bit of a lottery though.  Was sorting out car insurance for the daughter yesterday and contacted the supplier of the best quote to go through the detail as couldn't access their website.  Only way they could confirm the detail used was to run the quote again and, yes you've guessed it, it change

Thanks

I have been doing a similar check and found Saga to be the cheapest though I have not had chance to check all the details yet. Came out to just over £300

Had a problem with the site yesterday and last part of message missing!

Hi D

Caravanguard
    Comfort Insurance
    Safeguard
    Caravan Club
    Caravan & Camping Club
    Frank Pickles
    Towergate
    Adrian Flux
    RAC
    Coast Insurance
    AIB
    Saga

Our caravan was through C&CC however the best quote received for our MH was through CC (by a long way!) and was cheaper than the caravan despite it being nearly 5 times the value!

Insurance seems to be a bit of a lottery though.  Was sorting out car insurance for the daughter yesterday and contacted the supplier of the best quote to go through the detail as couldn't access their website.  Only way they could confirm the detail used was to run the quote again and, yes you've guessed it, it changed the premium!  Down by £71 whoopee!

Had to call them again to finalise a couple of hours later (after car passed MOT) and found out why I couldn't access their website.  Daughters birth date entered incorrectly by 9 days.  So, quote ran again and, you've guessed it again, premium changed again!  Down another £53.

At this rate if I keep calling them they'll pay me! :)

Some insurers give you a "like for like" no claims discount if you have one for a car.  Have you raised this with them?

Cheers

Hi, this is our first ever MH so shopped around for insurance. I'm actually with saga for car so thought they would be cheapest..but they were quoting me £400 + without euro cover or breakdown.

The best deal we got was with caravan guard £ 346 to include full UK AND Europe breakdown & recovery!

Hope this helps

:-)

Ironically, the best quote I got was from Adrian Flux which was quite a lot cheaper that any of the others.

We had our caravan insured with the Caravan Club so it seem the natural thing to do to also insure the motorhome with them. Hardly any difference in cost. What I had not accounted for was the fact that as a second vehicle I would have to start building up a no claims discount from scratch although in fairness they did have an introductory offer which gave a good discount. Can't say that I looked much further. Have to agree with Gellyneck regarding the lack of difference between caravan and motorhome insurance is negligible considering the unit cost difference. Its hard to explain unless there is just far more competition?

David

We're soon to be relocating and, whereas we currently keep our MH on "driveway", our new house driveway just won't accommodate it. Currently insured with Comfort at what we thought was a very reasonable cost but now that we've mentioned it will be kept "on the road" in October, they've refused to cover us.

Step in the CC scheme. Have now got a quote that will cover for "on the road" at a premium less than what we were paying with Comfort. Strange eh?

We insured through the Caravan Club as we used to insure the caravan with them. The motorhome section and the caravan section of the CC insurance service don't communicate with each other and work independently so we couldn't simply offset the rebate from the caravan insurance and put it towards the motorhome insurance :unsure:.

I tried to get a quote from LV insurance on the motorhome as I had my tow car insured through them for years and they said they would do it but couldn't offer the contents cover to go with it ! So I transferred my NCB from LV to the Caravan Club Insurance. This year's renewal from them was cheaper than our first year and it will be interesting to find out what it will cost when we take delivery our new AT Savannah in March 2015. 

Alan

I had quotes from the cc and the c&cc. cc were £50 dearer tha c&cc with exactly the same cover from the same insurance company weird or what?

doug

On 12/08/2014 at 15:55, Gellyneck said:

Hi D

• Caravanguard
  • Comfort Insurance
  • Safeguard
  • Caravan Club
  • Caravan & Camping Club
  • Frank Pickles
  • Towergate
  • Adrian Flux
  • RAC
  • Coast Insurance
  • AIB
  • Saga

Insurance seems to be a bit of a lottery though.  Was sorting out car insurance for the daughter yesterday and contacted the supplier of the best quote to go through the detail as couldn't access their website.  Only way they could confirm the detail used was to run the quote again and, yes you've guessed it, it change

For me Comfort Ins. are very good, other MH owners I know have used them and claims are speedily dealt with, which is the point have having insurance, also they do an inclusive european breakdown cover, which is more than competitive.

For me Comfort Ins. are very good, other MH owners I know have used them and claims are speedily dealt with, which is the point have having insurance, also they do an inclusive european breakdown cover, which is more than competitive.

On 04/09/2014 at 19:27, Madrunner said:

We used comfort - get great reviews and were very good value .

I am with comfort to, no complaints with them. My only grumble probably applies to other insurers also, who do not seem to indicate, where, by country you are not insured to drive in, only list of where you are insured for. I refer here to Montenegro, which is geographically within the EU, and therefore likely to driven into unknowingly uninsured.

I recently did a trip to Greece, via Belgium, Germany, Bavaria, Austria, Hungary, Serbia... more about there to follow, and Montenegro.

When I later checked my documents it omits mentioning Montenegro, gives all the nations you can, but presumes the insured must know or remember Montenegro is excluded. I feel it should be clearly indicated that Montenegro is not covered, particularly in view of its geographical location, rather than not mention it anywhere.

When I arrived at the border of Montenegro a 'green card' was demanded, without which I could not proceed, I requested my passport back but was told only when I had the green card which I could buy at their border office. I had to park up and go to the office, pay 50 euro for a third party insurance lasting 10 days, when presented my passport was returned to me.

It was now going dark, so I determined to drive straight through to Greece to avoid any repetition of my experience in Serbia as follows.

The previous day to my reaching the border, I had stayed at a Serbian service, well lit and 24/7, lots of people around. The following morning when I tried to start the engine turned over but failed to start, never happened before, my tank was 3/4 full plenty fuel, tried it a couple more times but nothing. Prior to leaving home I had reinsured with Comfort, and included European Breakdown Cover, whom I called to report the failure to start, was, told to expect a call from a local agent which I received, who verified my whereabouts and said they would be there in 30 minutes. Whilst I was taking the call a car drove up with two men in it, one got out and asked if I was ok, quite why as I did not have the bonnet up or appear to be in trouble, I told him I could not start, he offered to take a look and I lifted the bonnet. The other guy got out of the car and slid underneath, the other said try it now, which I did and it started, I got out and asked them what had they done, he said it was the injection pump sticking and needed 'tapping' to free it, the other guy had fetched a pump wrench from the car and was about to get under again so I dragged him away, as I am very well aware that does not happen to pumps, they suggested I follow them to their garage a few kilometres away, by which time I was pushing them both away from my MH and it was getting nasty. At that moment the recovery truck arrived and the driver spoke with the two men who took off, he rang his boss as he did not speak English, who told me he would be there himself in five minutes which he was. I explained everything to him, he examined the engine and showed me what they had done, it is apparently a scam, and at night they would have slid under the engine and disconnected an electrical plug which I understand allows the pump to operate when the ignition is switched on. They then wait for the resulting non start in the morning, they prey on number plates of tourists, to extract as much as possible from them. The recovery guy was great, the system is I would have paid them and recovered the amount when home, he would not charge me as he said there was little to charge for, but I nevertheless gave him a drink which he was delighted with, a lucky escape I feel. The people at the services where I filled up were very good, checked all around tyre pressures etc. and filled my water tank, one apologised for the actions of his fellow Serb. I did not stop again other than for fuel until the Greek border, where I felt safe to sleep, having spent lots time in that lovely country previously, but from the sea as a yachtsman.