NickJ

The new Bailey Approach Autograph

fair comment David I understand that an auto is a necessity for some with joint/limb problems but for many able bodied people an automatic transmission seems to be a must have .

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned but after spending years of driving LGV's with manual transmissions and 12+ forward gears I do not see an auto as a necessity and do not envisage ever having one

I am a great fan of automatics. I agree with Gordon it does have to be horses for courses. Nine years ago I purchased my first 4X4 automatic as a tow car and it was a revelation so easy and relaxing to drive. My little Venga is automatic and again so easy to drive. My motorhome is not automatic and requires much more input to drive, especially given the gearing. I do enjoy driving it but if there had been an automatic option I would have gone for it. It might have even persuaded Margaret to have had a go at driving it!!!

David

fair comment David I understand that an auto is a necessity for some with joint/limb problems but for many able bodied people an automatic transmission seems to be a must have .

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned but after spending years of driving LGV's with manual transmissions and 12+ forward gears I do not see an auto as a necessity and do not envisage ever having one

I too drive lgvs with 12 or16 manual gears, and guess what, our new auto trail is ordered with an auto box, my little fiat is manual, but hopefully it might go soon to be replaced , with an auto bmw , lorries are more controllable in manual form, but cars, auto every time for me

Hasn't there been a trend towards autos in HGV's in recent years - Volvo, Merc, Man, Scania etc. @ 44 tonnes? Better mpg?

yes you are right , but as far as lorries go I would rather have a stick than a knob any day !! As for cars and motorhomes its auto every time for me!

In answer to why Automatic, I suppose being in Trucks and Cars with my own repair garage I have never seen the point of changing gear when there is some mechanical means to do it for you, nothing to do with being lazy, why do you want to change gear manually ? taking it to the extreme we could all use hand signals, have wind up windows etc. but we don't.

Tony A