NickJ

The new Bailey Approach Autograph

Approach-Autograph-625.jpg

Bailey have released the following press release for new Approach Autograph motorhome range:

On the road...

Designed to be driven all models are powered by a 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp engine complete with a 6-speed manual gearbox housed in a Peugeot Boxer Euro 5 cab and thus benefit from the resulting improvements in performance and reduction in vehicle emissions. Driver and passenger comfort whilst en-route is also catered for with a pair of fully adjustable front swivel seats with twin arm rests and new map pocket, cab air conditioning and engine cruise control all included as standard.

The fully-specified cab is matched with a new ultra-low profile lightweight AL-KO AMC chassis which, with its lower centre of gravity, provides a more balanced weight distribution that improves road holding and braking efficiency as well as allowing for increases in user payloads and improving access in and out of the vehicle via a low level entrance step.  

The bodyshell is built using the Bailey patented Alu-Tech construction system, complete with a GRP outer skin and under floor protection, to create a leisure vehicle which is more robust, more durable and yet lighter than those manufactured using conventional methods to offer greater resistance against the elements to keep owners comfortable, safe and secure all year round.

Safety considerations remain of paramount importance and thought has been given to this aspect of the design throughout the vehicle, as highlighted by the fitment of dual air bags in the front cab of all models, Michelin premium tyres throughout and a spare wheel housed in an automotive style chassis mounted wind down carrier. In addition following the successful completion of a crash test research programme at the Millbrook Proving Ground additional strengthening has been made to the floor and furniture in the dedicated rear passenger areas to enhance the effectiveness of the fitted three point seat belts (model specific). 

The three elements of the vehicle are integrated visually with a striking new exterior colour scheme featuring a graphite cab, a polar white body and a contemporary graphics scheme. Together these combine with an aesthetically enhanced aero-dynamic body shell profile to give the Approach Autograph range a distinctive new look which announces that you travel and arrive in style.

On arrival... 

As practical as they are comfortable these well thought-out motorhomes include a variety of new features designed to make your life easier. Models now come supplied with a high performance 105Ah auxiliary Banner leisure battery, housed in a convenient new under floor storage compartment, to give greater independence away from a mains power source. Whilst a 100 litre fully insulated external fresh water tank and matching 100 litre waste tank offer continuous supply for extended periods and in extreme weather conditions.

A host of new internal and external storage options facilitated by the new double skin floor construction have been incorporated into the designs to allow you to take advantage of the generous payload allowances available with every model. Plus a new fully-specified Alde radiator heating system, complete with user-friendly digital control panel, has been added to the equipment list to provide programmable heating en-route or on site - which combined with the superior thermal performance of the Alu-Tech bodyshell makes the Approach Autograph the ultimate four-season vehicle.

On holiday...  

Inside the new Autograph retains the feeling of space thanks to the 2.28m (7'6") body width and an internal headroom which now extends up to a market leading 2.10m (6'10"). The resulting habitation area is beautifully showcased by large PolyClassic windows, complete with pleated cassette blinds, and a series of clear canopy roof lights, including a new opening Polyplastic horizontal skylight located above the driving seats, to flood the living space with natural light.

Interior decor, featuring the trademark Bailey Walnut finish, has been expertly refined with new cabinetry featuring elegant curved profiles, dual-finish locker doors, high gloss worktops and polished chrome fittings to enhance the feeling of quality. While new design elements such as the ergonomic kitchen units with contrasting overhead locker system plus the additional new ambient and task lighting give the Approach Autograph range the all important wow factor.

Each model also comes with a choice of either Trafalgar or Piccadilly luxurious soft furnishing options, featuring superior construction and premium quality fabrics, both of which are supplied with co-ordinating curtains and a pair of reversible scatter cushions.

As people have come to expect from Bailey, models are extremely well specified and are packed with all the home comforts owners will need for relaxing and enjoyable holidays. Notably they include fully equipped kitchens, featuring the new Thetford Caprice combination anti-rattle oven with a dual-fuel hob including an electric hotplate, and cleverly designed washrooms all of which contain a separate fully lined cubicle containing an energy-saving EcoCamel shower.

Model range

Initially the new Approach Autograph range will feature the three most popular layouts currently on the market plus two new innovative additions:- 

Approach Autograph 625 - 2 berth low-line end-lounge
Approach Autograph 740 - 4 berth low-line end-bedroom with fixed double bed
Approach Autograph 745 - 4 berth low-line end-bedroom with fixed double bed & designated travelling seats
Approach Autograph 750 - NEW 4 berth low-line end-bedroom with twin fixed single beds, designated travelling seats & rear storage garage
Approach Autograph 765 - NEW 6 berth low-line end-lounge with drop down double bed & designated travelling seats

All models feature the Peugeot 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp engine complete with a 6-speed manual gearbox, AL-KO AMC chassis and the Alu-Tech bodyshell as standard specification.  

Launch Timetable

Models will be arriving at Approved Bailey Retailers from early August onwards. Full product information, including a 360 degree product tour of each model, will go live 18th July 2013 on www.baileyofbristol.co.uk.

If you wish to be kept up to date with the latest developments on these or other Bailey products you can either join our e-mail subscriber data base by visiting  the main company web site at the address above or you can follow us on Twitter @BaileyofBristol.

Approach-Autograph-740-2.jpg

Approach-Autograph-740.jpg

I think there are some good improvements over the original Approach which is probably more caravan than motorhome in concept. Positive changes are the under floor battery storage plus space for a second battery. Also putting the pump under the floor will give a lot more space under the fixed bed and perhaps reduce noise. The prices seem to be quite good given the extras.

David

Couldn't agree more - curtain heater in the entrance floor, shoe locker, stepped lounge floor for more storage. Someone's clearly been listening to customers !

I like the Orion type curved rear roof panel - less caravan like.

Very pretty: the standout feature for me is that it has Alde heating.  Alde is brilliant, a huge leap forward.This must be ten grand less than equivalent models from rival manufacturers. 

We went to our dealers today to hand over our caravan prior to collecting our new motorhome in two weeks.

I made the awful mistake of pointing out the Bailey motorhome sitting there proudly on display. It was the 2014 model and only arrived this morning.

She fell in love with it immediately. I think it was the 750 model, beautiful layout, small flight of stairs up to twin singles with a large garage underneath.

The whole thing absolutely oozed class, very high quality finish to all fittings. The look of panic on the salesmans face when we asked if the work had started on our new van ( awning and status aerial) was glorious to behold.

As it happened nothing had been started but the news that we'd have to fork out an extra £7000 to cover the higher cost of the vehicle and a lower part exchange on the caravan dampened my wife's ardour!

For me the other factor was that is was a metre longer than the Sundance meant it would be almost impossible to park it on our frontage, also it would not be available until December.

I'm hoping now she won't look upon the Sundance as second best but as with most things you pays your money and takes your choice.

Good feedback to hear ! We absolutely love our approach. Brilliant built quality. Cannot wait to see the new range though. Ill visit the dealer without the wife though lol

How long until you collect the sun dance ?

Have you planned the first trip away yet ?

Bet you cannot wait ?

Nope, can't wait!

We collect on 3rd September and plan a long weekend away immediately close to home. If all goes well a week later we'll be in France for 9 days.

Probably go to our 2 favourite sites as we know the ropes there and will need to concentrate on getting the best out of the motorhome.

Glad you love your Bailey and you're sensible to go alone to see the new range!

Awesome ! We were like kids on Christmas morning the week before we collected ours !

That's what we did, stayed at our favourite site for the first weekend so we knew where everything was. We are also planning some trips abroad next year, possibly France and scandanavia.

Yeah, the wife always gets me into trouble whenever we got to our dealer lol lol

I don't know which model you intend buying but the model we saw, the 750 I think, was the one with the twin beds up the short stairs. Reading further about this model it seems that the beds are 5'10" long which may pose a problem if you are tall.

Also I believe the vehicle is slightly wider than many coachbuilts.

I don't know which model you intend buying but the model we saw, the 750 I think, was the one with the twin beds up the short stairs. Reading further about this model it seems that the beds are 5'10" long which may pose a problem if you are tall.

Also I believe the vehicle is slightly wider than many coachbuilts.

Not only are the beds short but the seat squabs on all but the single offside lounge seat are very short too. I couldn't find a single comfy perch in the van outside of the cab.

As well as being a wide van it (and the 765) have a very long 4.7 metre wheelbase which could make manoeuvering difficult in some circumstances.

Love the new layout of the 740, don't like the new upholstery  prefer the earlier models upholstery. Don't like the dark cab, or the skylight above it, give me the 4 very useful over head lockers in the earlier versions, do like the changes to the sinks, don't like the up down up of the floors. Can't comment on the heating as never had Alde but the combi boiler is good in the earlier version although does get the bed a bit warm if its on all night.  As always some nice changes some not, some will love it some won't.

Maz

Unfortunately no auto available in Peugeot form, only Fiat. Its the one thing missing from the Bailey range, would love an auto.

David

Hi David.

Fiat cater for all choices of transmission, we are on our third one now and I would not consider changing.  Our GVW is 4250 kg, we have now covered just over 8,500 miles most of which was in Spain and so far to date it's averaged 32.04 mpg.

One thing that concerns me about Peugeot is the fact that the Chinese have now  had to bail them out! 

That's my beef ,I.e. no Automatic, I was sitting with another couple whilst sitting in the new Bailey 730 at the NEC. in October which we and the other couple were about to order one when I informed them that Peugeot do not do an Automatic gearbox you should have seen the look on their faces and then the disappointment the husband said but, the wife is the one that does the driving as I can't, and she loves Automatics (2 lost sales !). not that it worries Bailey I found out from the Factory Rep. when questioned why they didn't build on a Chassis that provides the Automatic gearbox option, He said we can sell all that we can produce,and, our dealers can sell all our vehicles (or words to the effect),so at that point I saw red and although I should have not replied as I did I said " So sod the Customer then". end of conversation. we live in hope somebody at Bailey grasps this and  from talking to others after this encounter we and the other couple were not the only ones disappointed (we were at the NEC. for 3 days researching Motorhomes) , surely you don't just stop increasing sales just because you can sell you production for that day/ year.

Tony A.  

I cannot understand the need for an automatic  transmission with people these days ?  what is it with folks are you unable to change gear ?

to me an auto is a lazy mans gearbox .

I cannot understand the need for an automatic  transmission with people these days ?  what is it with folks are you unable to change gear ?

to me an auto is a lazy mans gearbox .

People want automatic gearboxes for different reasons. They would certainly be my preference. Its nothing to do with being lazy but I have had over years various leg problems which would have been helped by having an automatic.

On Tony's point about the apparent lack of interest from Bailey in producing an automatic model, and I assume the same applies to Elddis is that they have chosen to use one make of cab and I suspect to introduce a second manufacturer just to get an automatic gearbox would mean the price differential would be greater than just the  amount added for the auto gearbox which would mean they might not appear to be such good value?

David

Of the four vehicles in our household, two are automatics. Our MH is automatic, and I wouldn't choose to have it any other way as I like to relax and enjoy the journey when on holiday. The bigest advantage of an auto for me, is when creeping forward in queuing traffic, and let's face it, we're doing this more frequently these days.

We also have an MGF, and a sports car just wouldn't be the same if it had an auto box  ;) 

Gordon.