Photo

Can I use the outside lane of a motorway?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 klyne

klyne

Three Star

• 190 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

The extent of my motorhoming thus far is limited to about 460 miles. One thing I am a little unsure about is whether I can go into the third lane of a motorway when you have lorries in lane two trying to overtake those in lane one but not making very rapid progress. I see white vans out there sometimes but I thought there was some move to limit Transit type vans to lanes one and two? My motorhome has a maximum weight of 3500kgs.

David

#2 Madrunner

Madrunner

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationDorset

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yop absolutely fine.

The law does not permit goods vehicles over 7.5t or those between 3.5 & 7.5t that are speed restricted and certain 8+ passenger vehicles.

You'll be perfectly legal in your approach !
  • BenF likes this

#3 R0G

R0G

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLEICESTER

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Those under 3.5 tonnes GVW which are fitted with speed limiters are legally permitted to use the outer lane BUT if by doing so they cause undue inconvenience/danger to other road users they they leave themselves open to prosecution

#4 D4K9Z

D4K9Z

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

It is an offence to drive a vehicle in the outside lane of a motorway which is:

1. towing a trailer; or
  2. a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
  3. a goods vehicle between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted; or
  4. a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
  5. a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted.

So if you are under 7.5 tonnes you are O.K.

#5 KontikiKid

KontikiKid

One Star

• 22 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yes, in answer to the OP, legal in the third lane, under 3500 kg.

I am 5000kg and so fall into the PHGV category, but as a speed limiter is NOT required to be fitted, I am OK in the far right lane on a three lane motorway.

This link from the Highway Code sums it up nicely.

Russell

• Lefthand Down likes this

#6 klyne

klyne

Three Star

• 190 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Thanks everyone. Its not a place I particularly want to be but when you get stuck behind a lorry trying to over take another and not being very successful about it, its handy to know you can.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users