Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
klyne

Can I use the outside lane of a motorway?

6 posts in this topic

The extent of my motorhoming thus far is limited to about 460 miles. One thing I am a little unsure about is whether I can go into the third lane of a motorway when you have lorries in lane two trying to overtake those in lane one but not making very rapid progress. I see white vans out there sometimes but I thought there was some move to limit Transit type vans to lanes one and two? My motorhome has a maximum weight of 3500kgs.

David

Yop absolutely fine.

The law does not permit goods vehicles over 7.5t or those between 3.5 & 7.5t that are speed restricted and certain 8+ passenger vehicles.

You'll be perfectly legal in your approach !

BenF likes this

Those under 3.5 tonnes GVW which are fitted with speed limiters are legally permitted to use the outer lane BUT if by doing so they cause undue inconvenience/danger to other road users they they leave themselves open to prosecution

It is an offence to drive a vehicle in the outside lane of a motorway which is:

1. towing a trailer; or
  2. a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
  3. a goods vehicle between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted; or
  4. a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
  5. a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted.

So if you are under 7.5 tonnes you are O.K.

Yes, in answer to the OP, legal in the third lane, under 3500 kg.

I am 5000kg and so fall into the PHGV category, but as a speed limiter is NOT required to be fitted, I am OK in the far right lane on a three lane motorway.

This link from the Highway Code sums it up nicely.

Russell

Lefthand Down likes this

Thanks everyone. Its not a place I particularly want to be but when you get stuck behind a lorry trying to over take another and not being very successful about it, its handy to know you can.

David