Photo

Seat belts...or rather the lack of............

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 woodie106

woodie106

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationKent.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

One thing I don't quite understand. If you have a 6 berth motorhome, as we do, then you probably have a few people to take away in it - again, as we do.

So, I would have thought, 6 berth MH would equal 6 seats with belts. But it seems this concept doesn't apply to MH manufacturers. Ours has 4 seat belted chair - 2 in the cab & a further in the forward facing seats behind the driver. The rear facing seats behind the driver do not have seat belts.

Now I am aware that the law states that seat belts should be fitted to forward facing seats, that bit i get, but that means i will possibly have 2 people travelling with me that are not wearing seat belts.  Can anyone shed any light on the legallity of this?

I must admit that i am a bit uneasy about travelling like this. The option for us, which is one we have discussed, would be for Mrs W to drive her car as well, therefore any additional passengers would travel with her, but that means 2 x the fuel etc, which on a long trip could add up.

Does anyone know -  I am going to contact autotrail & ask this direct to them - whether belts can be retro fitted, even if they were to be lap belts?

To me, as i've said, 6 berth should equal 6 belts.

#2 Madrunner

Madrunner

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationDorset

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hmmm good question woodie.

Our 6 berth bailey has 6 seat belts. I have a feeling I've read that any passenger in a MH, forward facing or not, must by law have a seatbelt.

I don't think it always used to be the case but it may of course not apply retrospectively after the year it was introduced.

Time for some forum searching to locate the thread in question....

#3 woodie106

woodie106

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationKent.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

I asked our MH dealer & they said that only forward facing seats had to have seat belts? We looked at a couple of MH's a couple of years ago when we considering changing that had 6 belts, but we couldn't find any this time round that suited the rest of our needs or that we could afford.

They also said it was ok for adults to travel without seat belts, but not children, which is ok if you only have 3 kids, but we usually have more than that as we are foster carers so the amount of children varies - have 3 at mo, but normally we have 4 or even 5.

I suppose the only answer is 2 vehicles, which will at least give us transport at the site as well.

#4 R0G

R0G

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLEICESTER

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

If only the two front seats had belts then it would be legal as there is no requirement to fit belts to any other seats - a recent magistrate case in Leicester had this issue before them recently when passengers were found on a bench seat in the living area of a horsebox

Had the passengers been in actual danger at the point when stopped then the driver could have been prosecuted but not for actually having them sitting on the unrestrained bench seat

Most manufacturers are very safety conscious and do fit belts to all forward facing seats as well as rear and side facing

#5 crusader

crusader

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

you will not find seatbelts fitted to side facing seats unless they have dodgelly been fitted by mr diy , THE law is if they are there they need to be worn , if not fitted you cannot be fined for not wearing them ,,,, but the driver could face a fine for carrying an unrestrained /unsafe load . phone your insurance and ask if its ok to carry unrestrained passengers ?????, jim

#6 woodie106

woodie106

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationKent.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well i got a reply from Auto-Trail yesterday. they said they wouldn't do the work, but will supply drawings & fittings to any motorhome workshop to enable them to carry the work out.  

The layout we have is 4 seats - 2 either side of a table - behind the drivers seat. the two forward facing have seat belts, the two rearward facing don't. These rearward facing seats are the ones i would want the seat belts fitted to.  

Will take it back to my dealer & see if they will give me a price to fit them.

#7 rasor

rasor

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts
  • Locationcheshire

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

I have a bessacar e445 mh with a 'bench' seat behind the drivers seat and therefore only have two seats with belts and have also wondered whether it was legal to carry passengers on this seat.

#8 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon

• Admin
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

you will not find seatbelts fitted to side facing seats unless they have dodgelly been fitted by mr diy

That's not strictly true Jim. I have a MH with three side facing seats,and they all have factory fitted seatbelts. All four forward facing seats also have seat belts, yet strangely the two rear facing seats do not. So that's 9 seats, 7 with seatbelts, in a MH designed to sleep 6. I would still prefer to have had belts on the rear facing seats though.
Gordon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)